https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nb...ay-age-93.html

Former Boston Celtics forward Ernie Barrett, who starred at Kansas State and spent 75 years at the school as an athlete, coach and administrator, died Friday in his hometown of Manhattan, Kansas. He was 93.

Barrett's family announced his death. A memorial service is scheduled for Thursday at Bramlage Coliseum, where the Wildcats play their basketball games and where a banner recognizing Barrett's achievements hangs from the rafters.

'He came to visit me before every home game and was incredibly welcoming to me and my staff in our first year,' said Kansas State men's basketball coach Jerome Tang, who led the Wildcats on a surprising Elite Eight run this past season. 'No one loved this university and its basketball team more than him.'

Barrett was a Kansas schoolboy legend in the 1940s, when he led Wellington High School to its only state championship in basketball.

He was recruited by Phog Allen to play at Kansas and Henry Iba to attend Oklahoma State, but he wound up going to Kansas State and playing for Hall of Fame coaches Jack Gardner and Tex Winter.

Barrett led the Wildcats to the national championship game in 1951, where they lost to Adolph Rupp and Kentucky.

Barrett was chosen by the Celtics with the seventh pick in the 1951 draft, but he deferred his NBA career to spend two years in the Air Force. He wound up playing two seasons for Red Auerbach alongside Celtics great Bob Cousy.