Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Seattle Mariners Seattle Seahawks
    See j-f-cardsandthings's Items on eBay

2023 Topps Series 1 Jumbo Box question, how is the collation?

Just wondering if anyone has opened a Topps Series 1 Jumbo Box this season and how the collation was. I know years ago you used to be able to get nearly then entire set out of one, but then that changed awhile ago and the collation was much worse.

I've never bought a jumbo box before and was curious if Topps fixed that issue and jumbo boxes have almost all the cards now.
    Hidden Content
    Always Buying and Trading for BGS/BVG/SGC Graded Cards of:
    Roberto Clemente - Nolan Ryan - Juan Soto - Mike Trout
    Rafael Devers - Fernando Tatis, Jr. - Ronald Acuna
    , Jr.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    See bigbenjobu's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders

@Deckard7 I bought both a Hobby and a Jumbo Hobby at release time. I would say for the most part the collation is fine, but I did get doubles in the Hobby and in the Hobby jumbo I even got a few triples. I haven't looked at how complete my set might be, but I would guess I am missing very few.

For a Hobby box you get 24 packs, with 14 cards per pack. That is 336 cards and the base set is 330, so you might have to buy two Hobby boxes to get close to a full set honestly. With inserts, doubles, relics, etc. you would probably be lucky to get 225 individual base in the set out of one Hobby box.

The Hobby Jumbo at least has 10 packs of 46 cards for 460 total cards. I would think you might be able to get closer to 300 cards of the set at least. Obviously the price discrepancy could change how you feel between the two. I think you could get two Hobby for cheaper that one Jumbo Hobby, and the only difference is no guaranteed auto.
    Last edited by bigbenjobu; 06-19-2023 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Seattle Mariners Seattle Seahawks
    See j-f-cardsandthings's Items on eBay

Thanks for the reply. I know the Jumbo has a lot of cards in it and once upon a time you would end up less than 10 cards short of a 330-card set with very few doubles, so it was easy to complete a base set that way. Plus you got the added bonus of a guaranteed auto with the Jumbo.

I was just curious if Topps started doing that again or if the collation were more random now and didn't yield close to a full set. I remember reading a post or two here several years ago complaining that you didn't get close to a complete base set anymore with a Jumbo box.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    See bigbenjobu's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders

@Deckard7 Unfortunately I did not keep my Hobby and Jumbo cards separate, so I can't even go back now and check to see if I got close to a full set. I honestly think the best bet for the full set is to buy the Jumbo and fill in with eBay/trades or to just buy the Complete set when it comes out