Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Advice on my collection

Need some advice/opinions/insights into my baseball card collection. I collect only rookie cards of HOF players, Hall of VERY GOOD players, and Fan favorites. I tried making criteria for these players such as:
    < 15 yrs
    < 1800 Hits
    < 250 HRs
    < 900 RBI
    < .280 BA
    < .790 OPS
    < 110 OPS+
    < 1800 K
    < 250 SV
    < 1900 IP
    > 3.90 ERA
    > 1.3 WHIP
    Players should meet at least 3 of these criteria for me to include them in my collection. The problem is I am finding it very difficult to leave out players who fall short of the 3 criteria and thus find myself on the fence for many players.
    Question: Is my criteria too demanding? If players are close to meeting 3 criteria I generally would collect them, but there are many many very good veterans who put up very decent career numbers but don’t meet any of my criteria. I don’t want to start just collecting any journeyman player but I also don’t want to limit my collection so much. I would love to hear from anyone with thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

SCF Rewards
    Country

but there are many many very good veterans who put up very decent career numbers but don’t meet any of my criteria.

Who? It seems like you have very easy to meet requirements to me

I basically collect the same as you though it is just for autographs cards from 2010 and before of classic players. I don't have a set requirement because they really didn't include garbage players in those retired sets before.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

Very simple: Get the ones that interest you. In regard to your list of achievements:There are some in the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME in COOPERSTOWN that don't have up to some of those achievements as hitters and/or pitchers. So, GET the ones YOU WANT. DON'T let #'s control you. Have a good day, Rodney

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who? It seems like you have very easy to meet requirements to me

I basically collect the same as you though it is just for autographs cards from 2010 and before of classic players. I don't have a set requirement because they really didn't include garbage players in those retired sets before.

Joe Randa, Craig Counsell, Ray Knight, Alvin Davis, Ozzie Guillen, David Dejesus, Kevin Youkilis, Grady Sizemore to name a few. I could give you about 20+ names easily and that's not including pitchers. Someone like Grady and Youkilis have the OPS and OPS+ but lack all the other criteria
    Last edited by gsy971; 08-02-2023 at 02:19 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very simple: Get the ones that interest you. In regard to your list of achievements:There are some in the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME in COOPERSTOWN that don't have up to some of those achievements as hitters and/or pitchers. So, GET the ones YOU WANT. DON'T let #'s control you. Have a good day, Rodney

Yes i do this for fan favorite type players (Example Mark Fidryich, Al Hrbosky) or players from the state of Hawaii where I am from. You say i should get the ones that "interest" me. What I originally stated interests me,but am having a hard time with guys on the so called "fence".

I disagree with your statement about HoFamers not having those criteria. Most if not all cover at LEAST 3 of my criteria or their numbers in one or two categories are so high it is hard to ignore their HoF status.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees

Feels like your criteria is causing you some anxiety. I say just use those numbers as guidelines. Anyone who meets the numbers, they're in automatically. Anyone on the fringes, keep a list, do a little research and figure out if you feel a connection to them as a player. If that player feels meaningful to you in some way, collect them. If not, keep them on the list and maybe someday you'll reconsider. Maybe you won't. Doesn't matter really. I often find myself stressing over how I'm going to collect as many Yankees cards as I want to collect, but then I remember it's just a hobby. Have fun and collect what feels meaningful.
    Yankees + Todd Greene collector. There are tens of thousands of Yankees I need. My grail card is a 2005 Topps Pristine Fielder's Choice Glove Relics #TG Todd Greene.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Feels like your criteria is causing you some anxiety. I say just use those numbers as guidelines. Anyone who meets the numbers, they're in automatically. Anyone on the fringes, keep a list, do a little research and figure out if you feel a connection to them as a player. If that player feels meaningful to you in some way, collect them. If not, keep them on the list and maybe someday you'll reconsider. Maybe you won't. Doesn't matter really. I often find myself stressing over how I'm going to collect as many Yankees cards as I want to collect, but then I remember it's just a hobby. Have fun and collect what feels meaningful.

Yeah first world problems LOL. Yes you are right, they are guidelines and you are exactly correct as how i am going about it now. Keeping an "on the fence" list and doing a little more research. I just wanted to throw this out to the community to see what others had to say.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

I haven't CHECKED all of the COOPERSTOWN baseball HOFer players (just players, no umpires,managers, or executives - they don't have your stats), but I have chec ked a good amount. These HOFer players DON'T match up to AT LEAST three of your "criteria" --------
    PHIL RIZZUTO --- LUIS APARICIO --- ROY CAMPANELLA --- JACKIE ROBIHSON --- PEE WEE REESE --- MONTE IRVIN --- RICK FERRELL --- LOU BOUDREAU --- FRED LINDSTROM --- CHICK HAFEY --- EARLE COMBS --- ROSS YOUNGS ---DAVE BANCROFT

And there are probably more in the ones I haven't yet checked. Have a good evening and night, Rodney

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

I haven't CHECKED all of the COOPERSTOWN baseball HOFer players (just players, no umpires,managers, or executives - they don't have your stats), but I have chec ked a good amount. These HOFer players DON'T match up to AT LEAST three of your "criteria" --------
    PHIL RIZZUTO --- LUIS APARICIO --- ROY CAMPANELLA --- JACKIE ROBIHSON --- PEE WEE REESE --- MONTE IRVIN --- RICK FERRELL --- LOU BOUDREAU --- FRED LINDSTROM --- CHICK HAFEY --- EARLE COMBS --- ROSS YOUNGS ---DAVE BANCROFT

And there are probably more in the ones I haven't yet checked. Have a good evening and night, Rodney

There are many more.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don’t know if this matters but i am sure most after the 70’s have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk