Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees

Everything that's wrong with eBay in a nutshell (well, a screenshot)

One of my grail cards is the 2007 Topps Update short print Poley Walnuts of a squirrel at Yankee Stadium.

Beckett says the card is worth $25

Below are the only options on eBay. Some clown lists it for $1500, so the next person says "oh, I'll undercut them and make someone think they're getting a deal" at $700, the next at $500, and so on until the lowest price is still nearly 3x the book value. It's insane to me.

I realize scarcity may dictate overall market price more than just Beckett but these are unreasonable.

Last edited by toddgreen; 08-18-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    Yankees + Todd Greene collector. There are tens of thousands of Yankees I need. My grail card is a 2005 Topps Pristine Fielder's Choice Glove Relics #TG Todd Greene.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Well I also wonder how someone's card sells for 2x the amount mine is currently listed for. Then I see another one sell for 1.5x what mine is listed for. Like.. what's wrong with my card? Then again, the odd time I will sell something for more than others have it listed for. Few and far between but it does happen.

Some people buy impulsively or do not invest the time while others think they are sitting on gold because the card is from 1990 so to them it must be Vintage!
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Oh, and squirrels do not look like that in Ontario, that squirrel looks like it had a skunk as a father and a squirrel as a mother.

$25 for a card of a squirrel is worth more than an actual squirrel... just sayin'

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees

haha I like that last part

I agree with you. I sell on eBay sometimes and I've noticed people skipping over my cards and paying more for the same card. Not sure why. Like you said, it's probably impulse buying. It's also likely they're seeing promoted listings first - you can pay eBay an additional fee to make your listing show up higher in searches.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    See bigbenjobu's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders

Well I also wonder how someone's card sells for 2x the amount mine is currently listed for. Then I see another one sell for 1.5x what mine is listed for. Like.. what's wrong with my card? Then again, the odd time I will sell something for more than others have it listed for. Few and far between but it does happen.

Some people buy impulsively or do not invest the time while others think they are sitting on gold because the card is from 1990 so to them it must be Vintage!

@Cunnuc Depending on the price, I have bought "more expensive" hockey cards in the past from US buyers, instead of a bit cheaper card from a Canadian/International buyer because the price of shipping is so high. I am not saying this is true for all cases of course, but for the same card for me US shipping is ~$5 and international shipping is ~$20. With the added time and cost it is worth it to pay a few more dollars on the card, in order to pay less in the long run and likely have the card sooner.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

Beckett price doesn't mean a thing anymore to 99.999% of the hobby - you really can't expect to use that for a true picture of the market because the prices there are either stupidly high or stupidly low. If you want to know what a card is worth, then you should be checking completed sales on eBay.

Frankly, if one's there for $70, then I'd say buy it and put one of your grail cards in your PC, because I'm guessing that $25 you're seeing in Beckett is lower than market value.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    UCLA Bruins Los Angeles Lakers Anaheim Angels

Oh, and squirrels do not look like that in Ontario, that squirrel looks like it had a skunk as a father and a squirrel as a mother.

$25 for a card of a squirrel is worth more than an actual squirrel... just sayin'

lol
    Collecting - Semi "Master collecting" 2012 Topps BB - [+ 12 Topps Chrome, 12 Topps mini On Line, 12 Topps Opening Day] - 2012 Panini Prizm BB prizm - green, blue, red, gold, ice, pulsar [trade only] - Prefer trades of $30 bv min. for a bubble mailer. PWE trades ok for small trades. It's just a hobby. Have fun and be fair.