Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Austin Mathews

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Austin Mathews

Not a leafs fan. Seems like a good move.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I think his career average is around 85 points per season but I guess he is a super star.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

He's a smart dude. Understands how to max out his career earnings. He'll be 30 when the extension is over, and will be able to sign for even more $$$ for another 5-8 years (whatever he wants to do).

It's a good deal for the Leafs too. I don't think Matthews is necessarily a lock as a "top 5" player in the league - but he's really close.... and IMO a top 10 for sure. The cap will start to climb again, and this kind of $$$ is fine for a Superstar.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Matthews recognizes that he is in a prime market for additional earnings potential. Can you imagine the additional marketing opportunities a player like McDavid would have in Toronto? While he could have squeezed the Leafs for more, Matthews understands that others need to get paid and I do think he cares about his legacy.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yup. He'll be the highest paid player in the league for about a year. Maybe two. His number will fall behind a handful of players by the time the deal is up, but of everything goes right (he keeps producing at the same rate) he'll get another deal that pays even more.

I thought the Leafs were nuts on the last deal (he took no discount, and only signed for 5 years). This time? An 8 year deal probably costs $120m (15 per) but he took shorter term, and a smaller amount.

Not sure they'll be able to keep Nylander.... but that was always going to be a problem (he's looking at 10+)

Matthews recognizes that he is in a prime market for additional earnings potential. Can you imagine the additional marketing opportunities a player like McDavid would have in Toronto? While he could have squeezed the Leafs for more, Matthews understands that others need to get paid and I do think he cares about his legacy.