Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sending TTM requests in the offseason

Hi everyone. I signed up a couple of months ago because I started wanting to do TTM autographs. Some of the stuff I've seen and read is encouraging, other stuff, not so much.

My first TTM autograph request was to Charlie Hough. I sent it out about three weeks ago, so I'm hoping to get it back soon.

Anyway, here goes...

I'm thinking about getting some more TTM autos of players who are no longer playing, but work for different organizations in some capacity (i.e. a coach or front office).What happens to TTM requests that are sent to them in the offseason?For instance, I'm trying to get some former Rangers autographs. If they are coaching, and I send a card and request letter to the organization where the former player currently works/coaches, what happens to it? I can get duplicate cards (or multiples of the same player) if needed, too. But I'm really just looking for the one autograph of many of these players.

I assume the ones who are now coaches aren't there during the offseason.How about players that were popular but now work in a team's front office? Like if I wanted to send a Michael Young card to the Rangers, and I did it in the offseason, would he even know I sent it? I don't even know if it would get signed, because I hear a lot of players move on to work in front offices don't sign.

I also heard that the more popular players really don't sign TTM, either, even if you send what you want signed to the organization. There's a few current Rangers that I'd like to get some TTMs of, but from what I understand, they get so many requests that they simply don't sign.

What's been your experience with this?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

It really depends on the player. My daughter mails requests year round but specifically to players with high success rates (see TTM section of this site). Sometimes it may take months for a reply though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It really depends on the player. My daughter mails requests year round but specifically to players with high success rates (see TTM section of this site). Sometimes it may take months for a reply though.

What's her success rate been like overall? I know to send a SASE and a letter of request, but how should I generally package the cards to be sent? I'd like to get a decent success rate, and few damaged cards.

I sent one to Charlie Hough almost a month ago, and I'm still waiting to get it back. I'm going to have to document who I send cards to and when, so I can keep track of things for when (if??) I get the cards back.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

She eventually got Charlie Hough back. She usually sends a card in a top loader or semi-rigid card case. We usually track mail and receipt date but not always! She sends a brief personal note and sometimes SASE but often forgets but receives still most of the time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How long did it take for her to get the Charlie Hough back? Mine's been out about a month now. I sent a note and SASE with it, so I'm hoping to get it back soon. I am curious how the success rate is for "in season" TTM requests.

I also sent a Nolan Ryan card to the Nolan Ryan foundation for him to sign. The Nolan Ryan Foundation website says 8-12 weeks, so I'm actually looking forward to getting that one back, too.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    See bigbenjobu's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders

@MRich1976 If you are looking for current MLB players, there are only a few that sign. As far as current players go, MiLB is much better for TTM and you can get the stars before they make it big.

For the Rangers in the off-season,I really can't help, but I can tell you that Michael Young did have two successful returns from the team address this season. His overall success rate is only 42%, but you cannot get a return if you don't send.

For tracking your TTM's I would recommend setting up some kind of spreadsheet. Simple things like Player name, date sent, number of items sent, date returned, etc. I send almost 400 TTM a year so I have to do this or I could never keep track.

Finally, it seems like personal preference for most, but I absolutely do not send in penny sleeve or top loader. There are two reasons behind this.
    1. I have seen many returns where the player signs the penny sleeve/top loader. Yes I have received damaged cards back, but I am also not sending valuable cards to be signed. You can always add some thin cardboard to your return envelope.
    2. The post office machines can have issues with top loaders.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

SCF Rewards
    Country

@bigbenjobu Thanks for the info! I'm gathering some "duplicate" cards right now (they might not be identical, but multiples of the same player). Low-end cards (worth like $1 each or something), that way if I don't get them back it's not a big loss, and I have another of the same player. The spreadsheet thing is a good idea, and I'll probably do something like that if I send out a decent number of these. as is the thin cardboard thing. I saw someone once suggest "photo corners" in the cardboard to kind of hold the card in place.

What's your success rate on the 400? I know it varies from player to player, but about how long does it take to get them back? I've been waiting on a 1990 Fleer Charlie Hough TTM for about a month or so.

Do you send out a letter of request also? Seems like the polite thing to do. Do you send during the regular season or the offseason? Spring training? Someone suggested sending to the Spring Training facility, and said that might be a good idea.

For the minor leagues, where would I even get minor league cards, and find out who the "good" players are?

SCF Rewards
    Country

@MRich1976 I have never done the photo corners for TTM, but have also heard of people using them. My success rate each year is between 60-70%. I like to take some chances each year, otherwise I would probably be at 80+%.

How long does it take to come back? That can really vary by player obviously and location. My shortest return is 6 or 7 days. My longest is over 4 years. Also, remember that you are dealing with the post office. Items get lost. One month is not very long to wait at all. It looks' like Hough currently has 15 pending returns that were sent since 10SEP2023, so you are not alone. Give it time and it will likely come back.

I always send a letter of request, even if it is a player with a fee. I like to ask a question or two and have gotten some great responses to those.

I send year round, but I tend to only send to active players during the season.

Spring training can be great to send to (it used to be much better), but with it being the off-season I would not send to the ST facility.

For the minor leagues you have Bowman/Bowman Draft cards, Topps Heritage Minors, Topps Pro Debut, Panini Stars and Stripes, and many more. Also, each minor league team usually puts out their own team set. Those can be found on eBay or the teams website.

Finally, if you are really only trying to send to "good" MiLB players, you can just Google "Team name + prospect rankings." The MLB.com result will give you the top 30 Prospects for each team.

@bigbenjobu Thanks for the info! I'm gathering some "duplicate" cards right now (they might not be identical, but multiples of the same player). Low-end cards (worth like $1 each or something), that way if I don't get them back it's not a big loss, and I have another of the same player. The spreadsheet thing is a good idea, and I'll probably do something like that if I send out a decent number of these. as is the thin cardboard thing. I saw someone once suggest "photo corners" in the cardboard to kind of hold the card in place.

What's your success rate on the 400? I know it varies from player to player, but about how long does it take to get them back? I've been waiting on a 1990 Fleer Charlie Hough TTM for about a month or so.

Do you send out a letter of request also? Seems like the polite thing to do. Do you send during the regular season or the offseason? Spring training? Someone suggested sending to the Spring Training facility, and said that might be a good idea.

For the minor leagues, where would I even get minor league cards, and find out who the "good" players are?

Last edited by bigbenjobu; 10-19-2023 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

SCF Rewards
    Country

@bigbenjobu 60-70% seems pretty good.

Who do you send to in the off-season, out of curiosity? Someone told me once I shouldn't even consider sending to "popular" players because they get "hundreds" of requests and "don't have time" to sign any of them. I was hoping to get some TTM autos from a few current Rangers players, so I'll have to see how that goes. I've got a great A&G Corey Seager and a Josh Jung rookie I wouldn't mind getting autographed. I'm going to try to pick up a couple of Evan Carter cards, too, and see if I can send one of them.

If I sent to the Spring Training facility, it wouldn't be until right before the team got there, or shortly after.

For your LOR, do you hand write each one? Hand writing 400 LORs seems like it would take a while, not to mention postage! And I think it's awesome you've actually had players write you back. That's very cool! Who was it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by MRich1976; 10-19-2023 at 04:29 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

@MRich1976 Yes I would absolutely not send to superstars. You can use the TTM Manager to see the success rates for those guys, but I’m pretty sure you would be wasting your postage. I think the only active Ranger I have seen sign the last year was Heim.

As far as ST goes, I actually send a week before they report. That way they arrive on time.

Yes. I absolutely handwrite them all. I feel like it is more personal and better than a form letter.

And yes, TTM is quite the expensive hobby.

I couldn’t name them all. I have probably had a couple hundred people answer my questions over the years

@bigbenjobu 60-70% seems pretty good.

Who do you send to in the off-season, out of curiosity? Someone told me once I shouldn't even consider sending to "popular" players because they get "hundreds" of requests and "don't have time" to sign any of them. I was hoping to get some TTM autos from a few current Rangers players, so I'll have to see how that goes. I've got a great A&G Corey Seager and a Josh Jung rookie I wouldn't mind getting autographed. I'm going to try to pick up a couple of Evan Carter cards, too, and see if I can send one of them.

If I sent to the Spring Training facility, it wouldn't be until right before the team got there, or shortly after.

For your LOR, do you hand write each one? Hand writing 400 LORs seems like it would take a while, not to mention postage! And I think it's awesome you've actually had players write you back. That's very cool! Who was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by bigbenjobu; 10-20-2023 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast