Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rarest Sets from 1990 Hockey?

Is there any way to tell which were the least produced sets from 1990? I know they were all overproduced, but I was trying to figure out which were the rarest. I have read from a few people that the 90 OPC Premier set was much more limited than the others, but based on ebay sales and PSA submissions that is the opposite.

I started re-collecting graded cards of what I collected as a kid (the complete junk wax era), and was curious if any sets were better value based on scarcity than others. Thanks.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Welcome to the site!

You're probably correct in saying OPC Premier.

But it's like asking if a hot dog is more rare than a hamburger. There's an abundance of each to be found LOL
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

The Tiffany’s. Bowman and Topps only produced 3000? Of these Tiffany sets I believe.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

1989-90 o pee chee tembec is the rarest set our there. Rumor is there's only 100 of each card made

After that it's bowman Tiffany, at 3000 sets

90-91 OPC premier was a short print set and does have some value

As far as individual cards go, the roy/ Gretzky promo cards for upper deck are rare. Pro set has the Stanley cup card along with the Paul gillis bloody nose card and cards with accidental cup imprints (Granato, Broten)
    Last edited by cjb; 10-17-2023 at 02:52 AM.
    Trade and Want List Below

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

1989-90 o pee chee tembec is the rarest set our there. Rumor is there's only 100 of each card made

After that it's bowman Tiffany, at 3000 sets

90-91 OPC premier was a short print set and does have some value

As far as individual cards go, the roy/ Gretzky promo cards for upper deck are rare. Pro set has the Stanley cup card along with the Paul gillis bloody nose card and cards with accidental cup imprints (Granato, Broten)

Thanks for that info. The OPC Premier still doesnt make sense to me, as there are over 43K PSA submissions, with UD the next closest at 29K. Unless that just happens to be the set everyone sends for grading bc of its perceived value or shorter supply. Oddly, after 1990 it almost seems like the regular Topps/OPC sets became more rare as people were prob collecting everything else at that point.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do you know if the UD french versions are actually more rare than the english versions? I know in the 90s they were rumored to be, but I read somewhere it ended up being not true.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

yep, there's less french than english. don't know how many french cards they made?

Back to your PSA statement.....you can't make a judgement on print runs based on number of PSA submissions.

People will submit cards to PSA based on the potential increase in value of the graded card they are submitting.

A PSA 10 of a 1990-91 OPC Premier Rookie is worth more in the open market 1990-91 Proset rookie. Therefore more people will send OPC Premier cards for grating rather than a preset card.

SCF Rewards
    Country

yep, there's less french than english. don't know how many french cards they made?

Back to your PSA statement.....you can't make a judgement on print runs based on number of PSA submissions.

People will submit cards to PSA based on the potential increase in value of the graded card they are submitting.

A PSA 10 of a 1990-91 OPC Premier Rookie is worth more in the open market 1990-91 Proset rookie. Therefore more people will send OPC Premier cards for grating rather than a preset card.

Yah I understand that, thats why its hard to tell. I'm assuming none of the manufacturers actually released info on how many sets were produced, so its still hard to tell who produced the most/least. Thanks for the info.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How can you tell if its the Tiffany version? I read its supposed to have a white back but I still see some cards listed as Tiffany with a blue background (maybe incorrectly?) Everything online refers to the baseball sets and nothing on hockey. Thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country

hard to tell based on photos.

The glossy front and the bright white back is all i know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast