Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayyay

Need Advice any info would be greatly appreciated!

First off I would like to thank you for looking in here and second I would like to add the disclaimer that this is in no way an attempt at spam but just a couple of questions for anybody willing to help.
    Now to my dilema:
    A friend of mine quit collecting a few years back and is now going on a religious mission for the next couple of years and has no room to store his collection. He has entrusted me to attempt to sell whatever I can and donate the rest. In return I get to keep a couple of cards. So I now posess about 5,000 cards baseball, football and basketball ranging in the years of 1984-1994. His collection isn't something that would blow anyone away but does consist of a large collection of star rookies(about 2,000) and star player base cards. What I am wondering is if anyone here has ever moved a large amount of cards and what would the most effective way to do it? Like I said before any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Jay

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Best thing to do would be to go through and make a list of the decent cards that are in the collection....then I would turn around and put it up on eBay and use the various cards in your description to show what the buyer would be receiving...

jayyay
    so your saying to just throw the whole lot on ebay and sell it as is? I was thinking about doing a dutch auction but not sure how I should package the cards.... thanks for the help!

Country

You can Donate it to me!...J/K

Dutch is a pain IMO, pull all the good cards (bv 5.00 and Over) and donate the commons to a children Hospital ...sell what you can out of the good ones on trade sites first; then dump the rest on e-bay.

jayyay
    Originally posted by j.e.lew
    You can Donate it to me!...J/K

Dutch is a pain IMO, pull all the good cards (bv 5.00 and Over) and donate the commons to a children Hospital ...sell what you can out of the good ones on trade sites first; then dump the rest on e-bay.

thanks for the ideas I have been going thru these all night and have realized that my estimate of 5,000 cards is well off by about 15,000 there has to be at least 20,000 cards....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

i would make a list of some of them on this site and there will probably be some omved that way... plus you will make more here than ebay i am guessing... then i would unload the rest on ebay in large lots but maybe not dutch auctions even though that would be the easiest you might not make as much on it... that my $0.03

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with j e lew. My family had around 100,000 common cards all in those 3200 count boxes a few years ago, all from 89-95. I went through them and pulled all the stars, and we donated the rest to charity. Great part is that it's all tax deductible. I think my parents ended up getting about 10-15 cents per card off of their income tax bill at the end of the year.

SCF Rewards

very generous of your parents, not to mention fiscally intelligent!!