https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nh...-Panthers.html

Joe Thornton, one of the longest tenured skaters in the history of the National Hockey League, officially announced his retirement on Saturday.

In a video message shared by the San Jose Sharks, Thornton, 44, officially announced the end to his long career.

'Judging how many people keep asking me, I guess I have to tell you I'm officially retired from the NHL,' Thornton jokingly said, shirtless and wearing a broad-brimmed hat.

'Thought you guys would've figure it out sooner, but you kept asking - so here I am, retiring. I have so much love for the game of hockey and for [a] countless number of people that helped this kid's dream become a reality.

'And if you're looking for me, you know where to find me. I'll be at the rink. Peace and love.'

Thornton, the last active NHLer to have played in the 1990s, logged 1,714 regular season games and 187 playoff games across 25 seasons in the show.

He had yet to play a single game this NHL season and had not signed a contract with any team.

He ends his career with the sixth-most games played in NHL history, just 17 games behind Ron Francis for fifth and 65 games behind fellow Shark Patrick Marleau for the all-time record for games played.

Thornton's 1,109 assists are good for seventh all-time and his 1,539 points are good for 12th all time.