Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Donkey kong mistake

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ohio State Buckeyes Detroit Red Wings

Post Donkey kong mistake

Greetings:
    I want to first apologize for this long read ahead but I am sure once you are done reading it that you'll be nice to comment on it. Now as Paul Harvey would said "Now the rest of the story".

I take you back to the early 2000s I was hired by a guy $50 an hour to help him out with buying cards for his PC as well selling it for eBay as well add to huge collection of yours truly if there was anything that caught my attention. Little back story the guy owned 2 jewelry stores so he had the cash to pay me should I not find anything I could find. So he called me up to join him at this auction site of a coin/card shop outside the Detroit area. I was at 1 of his stores 2 hours before to discuss what my plans were for paying me off as well look through the catalog of what we be buying. Should I say "Finders Fee" on something he couldn't stop me from adding to my collection & to include it with my paycheck. So we get to auction he buys a couple of items that he thought weren't too bad like a lot of 66 out of the 100 cards from the 1955 Topps All-American set which included the 2 big names I thought at the time the Jim Thorpe card & the Notre Dame famed 4 Horsemen cards that were if graded could find a grade a couple 8s or higher he later was able to find the missing cards to complete his set I couldn't as for that was his holy grail of sets he wanted for his PC. So as the auction continued on I got a couple PC cards in baseball that I wanted plus some sets & other stuff to my collection. He came close but was outbidded on a few high ticket items like a uniform worn by Barry Sanders during a game his Rookie season a few unused Tickets for the 1935 World Series & NFL Championship game as well the 1957 NFL Championship game ironically the last time that the Detroit Lions were a force in football up to this year. Anyway I had to take a break from the auction to answer nature's call plus get away from my friend who's cigar smoking was making me nausea so after I attended that matter I stumbled upon a part of the auction that had yet to be sold when they got to it. That's when I noticed the box case of the Non-Sport box of Donkey Kong from the early 1980s curiosity took over me to see what they looked at that's when I peaked the box case & saw the letters "TB" I said to myself that ain't no Donkey Kong. So I was all set to open it up to investigate it when the auctioneer came into the room I was at along with the other people who were bidding as well my employer at the time saying they would resume the auction in 10 minutes in the room I was in so take a break. So there was a table filled with odds & ends of stuff from hot wheel cars to Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup merchandise to Michigan State University basketball 2000 NCAA Autographs from the Final Four season all sitting Right next to the case I saw. I told my friend I want the box of Donkey Kong no matter what he said alright when they resume I'll get it cause he was already making side deals with others with the stuff on the table & he was going to bid on the table for the others & get some $$$$ back from his side Hustle plus he told the others that I wanted that box & not to bid on it & they understood about the arrangement. Soon enough the 10 minutes were up the auction continued starting with the table of stuff. The auctioneer said before restarting the table he said they wanted to tell the bidders that the table would include the box that I wanted so badly. The auctioneer said that this table & this case was up for sale now he didn't open it up he just read Topps Donkey Kong cards for all he knew that was in box. So he set it down onto the table & said lets get a starting bid so the starting the bid of $5 by my friend the auctioneer said he had to be start at least $10 fine says my friend starts at $10 another says $11 I hear $15 my friend $20 I hear $23 & then $27 my friend looks at me saying are you sure that is worth it I said yes I want it $30 comes my friend another $32 my friend says $40 is my final bid anyone else wants it my friend said he'd offer $1 million try to outbid him well.....no others thought it was worth the $40 or to outbid my friend if they dared. So the auctioneer said sold to him then in a flash I took the box of Donkey Kong ran out to my friends car the auctioneer was shocked when I ran out my friend simply said while chuckling he wanted to load it up right away. In the car I opened up the case & saw 9 boxes of football cards I carefully opened up to see what year they were some had a black "X" on the front of them so I saw they were from 1982 Topps Cello. I was surprised quickly I closed the case & went back to the auction. I got a couple more things for myself as well my friend but he was wondering what was so important for me to do what I did. I mentioned that I explain to him once we got done unloading all the stuff we both bought. Afterwards we unloaded he again asked me That's when I showed him the case he said so they're football then I explained to do a search on eBay for 1982 unopened boxes so he was like $70 for the 36ct wax boxes that's where I had to educated him about the cellos telling him about you got more cards in the cello boxes but with only 24 packs instead of 36 so he found 1 for $120 & he was like I had 9 for him to sell & that's where I was like no you have 6 cause 3 were my "Finders Fee" so he was still happy so was I. As the result my 3 boxes didn't have the black "X" & I opened 1 to make a set cause heck I thought 24 packs I could get a good start on the set of 528 cards then I sold 1 myself got $325 from a soldier who at the time was fighting in Afghanistan & kept the 3rd one as a lasting memory of the auction. So here's the last box in the photos so I thank you for reading this post so I ask you should I take it to BBCE to get it shrink wrapped & sell it or just keep it as is lmk what you think I should do & what would you have done & would you agree that it's no Donkey Kong for sure as well. I look forward to seeing what you think thanks again for reading this & I hope that it wasn't too long of a read.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ohio State Buckeyes Detroit Red Wings