Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

02-May-2024

Yesterday, I was flipping through Facebook events on my phone, and came across an appearance by former Chicago Bears defensive end and member of the Hall of Fame, Dan Hampton, at a health food store in the town I live in. I don't have any cards left for Hampton, but I was able to go to a local card shop and pick up 6 cards, and Hampton signed them. The event was promoting pickle juice, and they had samples, and wow, it was not for me!

Photo of the Hampton autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2024: 160
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Country

04-May-2024

This weekend, the American Association and the Frontier League had their first Spring Training games of the season, and I went to the Schaumburg Boomers against the Windy City Thunderbolts in Schaumburg, IL. Prior to the game, I was able to get 5 cards signed by former Chicago White Sox closer Bobby Jenks, who is the new manager of the Windy City Thunderbolts, and then I was able to get 4 cards signed by new Schaumburg Boomers pitcher, and former Oakland A's farmhand, Dallas Woolfolk.

Photo of the Jenks autos:

Photo of the Woolfolk autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2024: 169

SCF Rewards
    Country

11-May-2024 (Part I of II)

This morning, I went to the Milwaukee Brewers Team Store at American Family Field for a free autograph appearance by former Philadelphia Phillies and current Milwaukee Brewers slugger Rhys Hoskins. Mr. Hoskins was very friendly, but was only there an hour, so some people were cut off at the very end. I was able to get two autos on cards.

Photo of the Rhys Hoskins autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2024: 171

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Thats a nice gesture by the team. Glad you were able to get him

SCF Rewards
    Country

11-May-2024 (Part II of II)

Saturday afternoon/evening, I went to the Gary Southshore Railcats at Chicago Dogs American Association baseball game in Rosemont, IL. Prior to the game, I was able to get 4 cards signed by former Detroit Tigers pitching prospect Franklin Perez, and 4 cards signed by former Houston Astros infielder prospect Miguelangel Sierra. I then went over to the Dogs side, and got one card signed by pitching coach Stu Cliburn, and 1 card signed by new signee and former Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox prospect Narciso Crook.

Photo of the signed cards:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2024: 181

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

Very nice group of events this month! Thanks for sharing! How are you usually preparing and finding cards beforehand?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very nice group of events this month! Thanks for sharing! How are you usually preparing and finding cards beforehand?

I have a large collection of cards, so many come from my own boxes. Others, I look in advance at the transactions for the minor league teams in the two leagues closest to me (American Association and Frontier League), and if they sign someone with cards, I check to see if I have them, and if not, I order from a website so I have them, or I go to a store that I know has single cards, if I need it right away (like the Dan Hampton one). I also keep a box full of former Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, and Bucks, just in case someone comes around, Honestly, it is a lot of work keeping track of everything, as players in these independent leagues move around a lot, and there are a ton of guys on a roster to look through before you find one that has a mainstream card out there.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thats a nice gesture by the team. Glad you were able to get him

Yes, they haven't done that in awhile, since pre-Covid, I think. I don't know that I would have committed the time (1.5 hours of driving each way, plus 2 hours waiting, then 1 hour through the line), for someone but a former Phillies star!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I missed that Franklin Perez had made it to Indy ball. I saw him last summer with Lakeland after he had returned from a long injury and he pitched like he had nothing left. Nice kid but I don't know how much he has left baseball-wise.
    Owner of 244 unique Baseball HOFer Autographs

Collecting signed sets: 14, 15, 16, 18, 19 Topps Heritage Minors

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

Thanks for sharing. It seems I’m always unprepared when there’s a retired Brave or Falcons player locally or finding minor league players like you said because there’s a lot of turnover.

I have a large collection of cards, so many come from my own boxes. Others, I look in advance at the transactions for the minor league teams in the two leagues closest to me (American Association and Frontier League), and if they sign someone with cards, I check to see if I have them, and if not, I order from a website so I have them, or I go to a store that I know has single cards, if I need it right away (like the Dan Hampton one). I also keep a box full of former Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, and Bucks, just in case someone comes around, Honestly, it is a lot of work keeping track of everything, as players in these independent leagues move around a lot, and there are a ton of guys on a roster to look through before you find one that has a mainstream card out there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast