Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grade's World

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

So I would like to know your thoughts about graded cards - yea / nay?

I say yea. I have hundreds of graded cards in my collection, some vintage (i.e. 50's Parkhurst) while others are modern (i.e. McDavid rookies).

If you’re nay then why - too pricey, it’s too hard to display them as I would like to - for example?

Although not a nay, I have severely decreased my graded card submissions due to the rising costs and brutal wait times.

How big % of your personal collection are graded?

Possibly 10-15%.

Do you grade/own a cards for PC or to flip it later?

I have done both.

Are you a maximalist Gem Mint+ or a Mint guy? Does the grade really matter if it’s on your PC?

Depends on the cost and opportunity to do so. My Parkhurst hockey from the 1950s does not need to be GEM MINT, I'm happy with lesser grades as long as the card has decent centring, corners, etc. A graded PC card of Liut though, would not be as cost prohibitive and would be an example of where I would hold out for a GEM MINT copy.

If you get a Mcdavid, Crosby, Bedard rookie cards would you grade them all or it's not that simple and is totally unnecessary?

If I thought that I could get a MINT or better grade, then I would probably grade the card unless it was a very basic RC that didn't retail for more than $5-10. I have gotten Crosby and McDavid YGs graded in the past and have been very happy with the results. The copies I did flip were far easier to move, and for a better profit than ungraded copies sold at the same time.

If that's totally unnecessary is that because the cards wont be grade 10?

I think cost and scarcity do come into play. As well, you have to look at whether it makes sense grading a card that is already 1/1 (can it get any more valuable?) or a card that does retail for much. Not many people are paying $50 for a PSA or BGS GEM MINT card that they can purchase in MINt or possibly GEM MINT condition for $5.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

• So I would like to know your thoughts about graded cards - yea / nay?
    • I personally prefer graded cards. Card condition is clearly defined and you know exactly what you have and its current value.
    • How big % of your personal collection are graded?
    • About 75%
    • Do you grade/own a cards for PC or to flip it later?
    • Both. The flips fund the PC.
    • Are you a maximalist Gem Mint+ or a Mint guy? Does the grade really matter if it’s on your PC?
    • Prefer the 9.5s and 10s however, the rarity of the card also comes into play. Sometimes I will keep a 9 if it is SP. I usually crack 8s out and prefer to keep them raw then in the slab. I also grade ONLY RC or rare very short printed cards.
    • If you get a Mcdavid, Crosby, Bedard rookie cards would you grade them all or it's not that simple and is totally unnecessary?
    • I PC Crosby so I kind of follow the above rule.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @OscarsCards See oscars-cards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Sure it's not very useful to grade 1/1 card just to sell it but if I'm looking at it from my PC perspective - I think will grade some of my low numbered cards just for my self.

Well.. I guess I never paid a great attention that the grade gives an additional rarity attribute, maybe that's because it's more for card flipping.

@ari4l2010 that's a nice percentage, is there way to see some of your PC? your photobuket link appears to be broken by the way.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Sure it's not very useful to grade 1/1 card just to sell it but if I'm looking at it from my PC perspective - I think will grade some of my low numbered cards just for my self.

Well.. I guess I never paid a great attention that the grade gives an additional rarity attribute, maybe that's because it's more for card flipping.

@ari4l2010 that's a nice percentage, is there way to see some of your PC? your photobuket link appears to be broken by the way.

I did get my Josh Gorges Cup Black 1/1 graded, many years ago. Not so much to enhance the value on it or anything like that (no matter what you do, it's still Josh Gorges) but to preserve the condition as-is. Any number of things can happen that wreck a card. There's only a very small number of true 1/1 cards of this player, and while I love all the Habs 1/1's more there is a mystique about a Cup 1/1. So that's how I get this:
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

Here you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156092808@N06/9Wu79Cu6Bu

SCF Rewards
    Country

And that's a mic drop right there. Amazing collection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12