Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

$3.5m from Hockey Canada

. Thanks I had not seen the number.

Again thanks for highlighting what you know and putting it in a nice read.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

The bolded part.... among the rumors that were flying around when this story first broke (two years ago?) was that there was a video (in addition to the one they got her to film afterwards, saying she was cool with it).

I don't think there is any doubt that she went back to a hotel room with one player, and that was all consensual. There is also little doubt in my mind that the player then invited a bunch of other players to join him. Some did, it sounds like one or two may have shown up and then walked away. I don't think anyone is going to claim that the group sex didn't happen. The only questions that really exists is weather or not she consented.

Not sure that a video makes much of a difference anyway, unless it's showing how intoxicated she was - thus completely removing any notion that she could have consented.

I've never been a young woman, but I have a hard time imagining a young woman being into have sex with a group of guys, and then crying about it to her mother the next day.

Consent, in this case, is also a legal concept, not just a moral one. Being drunk, scared, and coerced into letting something happen won't hold up legally as consent. Even if the player who organized the gang bang got her to say on video after the fact that she wanted it.

I've seen a ton of comments on various articles about this story. A lot of folks saying she's just looking for a payday. She already got her payday (I believe $3.5m from Hockey Canada). That was a civil matter, and likely absolves hockey Canada of any further action. It doesn't absolve any of the players involved of criminal charges, and I suppose she could go after them civilly too - but I don't get the sense that's what's going to happen here:

After all the (national) outrage in Canada, over Hockey Canada covering this up, and the London Police sweeping it under the rug - the Police were shamed into reopening the investigation. I don't believe this is her pressing charges. This is the crown pressing charges.

I would imagine that unless there is compelling evidence that exonerates these players, the KHL is the best they'll be able to do as far as pro hockey goes, ever again. I also don't think that evidence exists, and all five of these guys are done. Maybe another one or two to join them still?

The comparison to Craig MacTavish was made earlier in this thread. Please do not take this as me excusing what he did, but IMO I think while the consequences of what MacTavish did are arguably worse, I also think morally what these players allegedly did was worse than MacTavish. For those not aware, Craig MacTavish, back in 1984, killed a woman in a drunk driving incident. He was playing for the Bruins at the time. He got a year in jail, and then was traded to the Oilers. What MacTavish did was awful, irresponsible, stupid, and selfish. A woman lost her life due to how reckless he was.

It was the 80s, and society didn't take drunk driving as seriously as it does today. I'm not sure how long someone would be locked up for a similar incident today - but I have to assume longer. In today's climate, fueled by social media, I do think a player did something like that would have a hard time coming back - but I don't think it would be impossible.

What MacTavish did was awful, but I don't think he set out to be awful. That's the difference here. He did something terrible, without setting out to do something terrible. The players involved in this Team Canada scandal decided to do something awful, for their own gratification. I think that's a huge difference, and why this is probably impossible for them to come back from (and rightfully so).

I havent followed it as closely as I should also as far as I know no evidence has ever been released yet so I wont dare judge. I was just presenting the 3 most likely scenarios as to what the police have or dont have assuming all player statements were the same. As far as video evidence I was referring to video of the actual act being committed.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I actually think they will come back. There's been a recent history of players doing bad things, losing contracts, and getting picked up by a different team after awhile. Look at Kane, Perry, that guy in Boston, etc. I know the Boston thing didn't work out but that was only because of the players not wanting him. The Juniors thing is really bad though so we'll see. Having said the above and assuming they are guilty, I really, really hope they go to prison and never get the chance to play hockey ever again. They don't deserve to play hockey.
    Collecting 2017 Leafs Centennial, Roberto Luongo (Vancouver years), and Mitch Marner. Mild interest in other Leafs and goalies (especially from Canadian teams).

Tradelist: Hidden Content
    Wantlist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I actually think they will come back. There's been a recent history of players doing bad things, losing contracts, and getting picked up by a different team after awhile. Look at Kane, Perry, that guy in Boston, etc. I know the Boston thing didn't work out but that was only because of the players not wanting him. The Juniors thing is really bad though so we'll see. Having said the above and assuming they are guilty, I really, really hope they go to prison and never get the chance to play hockey ever again. They don't deserve to play hockey.

So anyone who commits a crime doesnt deserve a second chance and doesnt deserve to get a job? If you truly think like that no criminal will ever have a chance to turn their lives around if they cant find work to sustain themselves and build up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

The first player is now reported to have surrendered to police in London, ON. This report on TSN from the Canadian Press shows Alex Formenton has reported in London wwith his Lawyers.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/law...rges-1.2068857

LONDON, Ont. — Pro hockey player Alex Formenton, a former member of the NHL's Ottawa Senators who currently plays in Switzerland, has been charged by police in London, Ont., his lawyer said Sunday.

"The London Police have charged several players, including Alex Formenton, in connection with an accusation made in 2018," lead counsel Daniel Brown said in an email. "Alex will vigorously defend his innocence and asks that people not rush to judgment without hearing all of the evidence."

Video footage shows Formenton wearing a grey jacket, dark pants and white shoes as he entered a London police station on Sunday morning with his legal representation. He made no comment.

A follow-up message left with Brown and a message to Formenton’s agent were not immediately returned.

The Globe and Mail, citing two unnamed sources, reported last Wednesday that charges are connected to an alleged group sexual assault of a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in 2018. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I personally like this article as it all goes back to why does the NHL always try to cover up sexual abuse and never address it head on.

Sheldon Kennedy on Hockey Canada: ‘Incidents happen in systems that are unwilling to change’
    https://theathletic.com/5235911/2024...canada-london/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

So while it was speculation on our part, we all knew who the players were, however it was confirmed today, here is the article from TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/sources-confi...tion-1.2069570

Four National Hockey League players – Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube, and Cal Foote – have been directed to surrender to police in London, Ont., to be charged with sexual assault in connection with an alleged incident that occurred during a Hockey Canada event in the city in June 2018, two sources familiar with the matter told TSN.

The players are expected to surrender before the London Police Service holds a press conference on Monday to update the public on the high-profile case.

The Globe and Mail reported on Jan. 24 that London police have instructed five members of Canada’s 2018 World Junior team to surrender to be charged with sexual assault. Former Ottawa Senators player Alex Formenton, who currently plays in Switzerland, reported to police on Jan. 28 to be officially charged.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins Boston Bruins Buffalo Bills
    See moose7766's Items on eBay

One thing to note. Working at a law firm, as I do, any trial probably wont start until 2026. It takes a while here in canada for these things to work themselves out.

Now, 4 of the players are going to be free agents at end of year (McLeod, Hart, Foote, Dube). Next steps for them, and there is precedent of this, they will soon be suspended by their NHL teams. Basically, told to stay home. They will continue to get paid in the interim. think of them as LTIR types for now. At end of year, they will probably all be released by their NHL teams. No NHL team will offer them a contract now. Dillon Dube might have more issues, since it may be he was claiming mental illness to the team for his time off. Not sure what will happen there. Formenton plays for a Swiss team, so he's out for this year, but unsure if they would take him back for next year. NHL he's out, but in the Swiss league? I have no idea. One issue there would be whether authorities would allow him (or any other of these guys) to leave the country to play in a European league, if they could.

But really, at end of the day, their NHL careers are basically over. if they have to miss significant time, its very unlikely they could come back in 2 years and play at a high level. But no NHL team will have them. You saw this in football with the Bills cutting punter Matt Araiaza over assault allegations that he has now been cleared of, but he's still unsigned. This is a whole different can of worms. Sad all around, especially for the young woman obviously. Pure stupidity on their part.

SCF Rewards
    Country

One thing to note. Working at a law firm, as I do, any trial probably wont start until 2026. It takes a while here in canada for these things to work themselves out.

Now, 4 of the players are going to be free agents at end of year (McLeod, Hart, Foote, Dube). Next steps for them, and there is precedent of this, they will soon be suspended by their NHL teams. Basically, told to stay home. They will continue to get paid in the interim. think of them as LTIR types for now. At end of year, they will probably all be released by their NHL teams. No NHL team will offer them a contract now. Dillon Dube might have more issues, since it may be he was claiming mental illness to the team for his time off. Not sure what will happen there. Formenton plays for a Swiss team, so he's out for this year, but unsure if they would take him back for next year. NHL he's out, but in the Swiss league? I have no idea. One issue there would be whether authorities would allow him (or any other of these guys) to leave the country to play in a European league, if they could.

But really, at end of the day, their NHL careers are basically over. if they have to miss significant time, its very unlikely they could come back in 2 years and play at a high level. But no NHL team will have them. You saw this in football with the Bills cutting punter Matt Araiaza over assault allegations that he has now been cleared of, but he's still unsigned. This is a whole different can of worms. Sad all around, especially for the young woman obviously. Pure stupidity on their part.

The only thing you are forgetting is the KHL. Like most employment opportunities in Russia, including their military, they will take anyone who is good enough.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins Boston Bruins Buffalo Bills
    See moose7766's Items on eBay

The key there is....will CDN authorities allow someone charged with a serious crime to pursue employment in a foreign country (especially Russia)? I'm going to say, no they won't. Those guys are good enough to play in Russia, but getting there is another matter entirely. They'll be released on their recognizance, as long as they don't go anywhere. I'm pretty sure they'll have to surrender their passports as well.

The only thing you are forgetting is the KHL. Like most employment opportunities in Russia, including their military, they will take anyone who is good enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast