Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What a waste (eBay shipping, likely for the millionth time on here)

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but man is eBay shipping policy awful.

Let me tell you the tale of two packages.

The first was a pair of cards I paid $4.00 USD each for, and $4.00 USD to have shipped to me. These cards came to me (in Ontario, Canada) from Pennsylvania, USA. They were put inside a single top loader, and shipped in a PWE. The seller indicated they were sent on January 29th, and I received them yesterday (February 6th). 8 days, total, in transit.

The second was a single card I purchased for $5 USD. The shipping cost $11.11 USD. I could have sent it to my COMC mailbox, and paid only $4(ish) for shipping, but the fees with doing that means I'd be saving about $2 - not exactly worth it. I could have sent it to a friend in the USA (I've done this before) but that's kind of a pain for everyone involved, and I'd rather reserve those favors for when it's really needed.

Now, I bought the card knowing what I'd be paying in shipping - and I was willing to do it (it was something I wanted, for my collection) and I'm happy I got the card. If I had it to do over again, I'd still buy it, with the shipping costs.

But man, was a waste. What a way by eBay to line their pockets. The card was sent to me, from Missouri, on January 18th. I received it today (February 7th). It was in transit for 20 days..... or two & half times longer than the other package. I got the thick / brown / cardboard envelope from DHL (who eBay's shipping center goes through). Inside, here's the envelope:

Same kind of PWE. Card was in a toploader, well protected. PWE reinforced with tape all over it. I have ZERO issues with cards of this value being sent that way. The postage cost a whooping 63 cents. I forget the exact cost of a global forever stamp.... it's more than $1, less than $2.

Seller could have opted out of eBay's wasteful shipping program, charged me $4, made an extra $2 on the total sale.... I would have gotten my card two weeks quicker, and paid less than half in shipping.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very interesting. I've never used Ebay's shipping program, but I've seen it advertised.
    Thanks for the post!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Washington Capitals Chicago Blackhawks
    See sleepn0t's Items on eBay
    Member is PayPal Verified

eBay global shipping program (gsp) is a nightmare for Canadian customers just like me. I don't count anymore the number of times I had to pass on an item I was interested in, that was actually located in the US, and all that because the shipping was like three or four times the price of the card alone. That is I-N-S-A-N-E !!! Oftentimes I send messages to American sellers, asking them for a shipping alternative, and asking 'em to please opt out of the eBay gsp.. Hockey cards are often sold in Canada, and some eBay sellers who are based in the US are depriving themselves of a big part of this Canadian market...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

It's also horrible in the states. I've had cards shipped to me with that exact label from all over the states. I live just outside of Chicago and It has taken a minimum of 7-10 days to get to me and tt was shipped from Minnesota. Those envelopes also don't show up in USPS tracking, not even after they have been delivered.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

i too have contacted American sellers for a cheaper option for shipping to Canada.
    the response is almost always the same... nope it is easier for them to use the global shipping plan.
    i respond with but in a reinforced PWE its faster and cheaper by far for me the customer.
    and i am willing to bid your item higher
    but they often dont even reply to that.
    so a NM vintage card ends up selling for 99 cents with a US shipping address and his shipping within the states is $1.99
    so the seller basically gets nothing for his card after shipping and ebay fees (over 20% if final selling price is a couple bucks.)
    frustrating but i get over it.