Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

COA Pros - Legitimate Company? RE: Patrick Mahomes Signed Card

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but have been putting together a Chiefs collection with my son and thought this looked like a knowledgeable group of people that may have the answer to my question. When I first started putting together the collection, I didn't realize that the 3 big authenticators (PSA, BGS, JSA) were basically the only respected and trusted authenticators that actually add value to signed memorabilia. I had purchased a Mahomes Super Bowl hand signed card with a COA from COA Pros, and an 8x10 signed photo also signed by Mahomes, and also authenticated by COA Pros. Their website looks legitimate, but wanted to get an opinion from this group as to whether or not the authenticated signatures are likely authentic, or if they are a company that just authenticates everything they get sent. I haven't seen them on any banned authenticators listings and they seem to have an abundance of authenticated items on eBay. This is less of a value thing since we PC the Chiefs, but it drives me nuts not knowing if that authentication is real. I sent the card to BGS and PSA quick opinion and both came back as "unlikely to pass full inspection"...but I sent photos front and back, and the back has the COA Pros hologram affixed to the card, so didn't know if that affected the opinion of PSA and BGS as they may not want to authenticate a card with someone else's hologram already on the card. I was advised by a friend to remove the hologram and send it in, but I tried for about 10 seconds and realized that wasn't going to work! Any advise or experience with COA Pros? I may send it in with my next PSA submission anyway, but hate to waste the money if it's going to get sent back as unable to authenticate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My opinion would be to send it just one of the card/photo to get authenticated by PSA or BGS. If it comes back legit that would probably mean the other would be. If it they reject it chances are the other is no good. The problem is outside of the big 3 nobody cares what they say because they have no history and no track record of authenticating. Maybe these guys are good or maybe they aren't. The problem is you don't know if they go out of business in a month and if they do now your COA is worthless. That's the thing if JSA or BGS went out of business eventually their COAs would lose value over time too so it isn't a bash on whoever these guys are it is just a rule of thumb.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you sir! Do you have an opinion on which would be better, PSA or JSA? I'd like to have the card encapsulated, so I'd prefer PSA and am sending a 50 card submission anyway...but they've already give the "Unlikely" opinion, so thought about sending to JSA along with the photo. I really wish I could get the hologram off...then I'd for sure go to PSA! That thing is on there and even if it peeled off it will leave the tamper residue.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Don't really know the surface on the photo but people do remove stickers from items using a hair dryer to heat and peel off the sticker. Then they use something like goo gone to remove the residue. Don't know if that works with an autograph item as you would have to be more careful not to damage the ink.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here are the card images. It's a Mosaic, so pretty sturdy card with a glossy surface.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Dylan,
    I would not deal with them as they are just offering an opinion on the autograph. I mean they do not stand by anything they just look in their library and then make a analysis based on comparing your autograph to the one in their library. I mean you can do the same thing by comparing the autograph you have by looking on ebay. Hardly, anyone is going to pay a premium or sale value compared to the big three. Just my take.

I mean it sad because autographs of athletes have changed over time. If their library is not up to date with the varying degrees of the auto changes how can they give an opinion when they have nothing to reference it against. Paying for an Opinion is pointless to me but that is my take. If you have questions ask and we will always try to help out.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Mahomes Authenticated.jpgWell, I almost ruined the card trying to get the COA Pros hologram off the back of the card and almost ended up throwing it away. Decided to send it in anyway and much to my surprise it actually came back authentic! We had also sent in a Kobe card with a Score Board company guaranteed autograph and it came back "questionable authenticity" not slabbed. I was completely surprised that this came back authentic!