Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Selling on eBay

     
  1. #1

    Selling on eBay

    I have some cards that are decent, but I'm not really interested in the players, so I was thinking about selling these cards on eBay. Thing is tho, I've never sold anything on eBay, therefore, I have no clue what the procedure is.

    I was wondering if anyone, who's had experience selling online, could tell me the basics in setting up a sale. As well, from what I've heard eBay charges fees for posting up items for sale...how much do they charge? Lastly, if I start selling, how can I compete with other sellers when I have a rating of 0 since I've just begun? Your help is greatly appreciated.

  2. Check out the deals at Bear Ridge Collectibles eBay Store
  3. #2
    Sign up for ebay and it runs through all the necessary details to sell an item when you try to do it

    The instructions are pretty simple, you'd have to be mentally handicapped (or severely computer illiterate) to not be able to follow them ;) Nice thing about ebay is that they do cater to just about anyone.

    As for competing with other people.. you can't do it any easy way otherwise everyone would do it..

    As with anything else, you must build your reputation over time, and as you get more feedback people become more willing to spend money on your auctions. Best way to go about it would be to buy/sell low-value items en masse to get a solid amount of feedback, before getting into anything higher end.

  4. #3
    like tradebark said, you need to build your reputation, you will probably not get as much money with such low feedback, but you can always buy a few cheap items you need to build your feedback, most people will just look at the number of feedback and not if you've sold or not. So use that to your advantage. It may take a month or so to get your 10 feedback in order to get a star rating, once you get that you will be safe to sell small things for a while but with higher dollar items it may be best to wait until you get at least 50. Another suggestion is to sell here, you may not get as much, but if you minus the ebay fees, the paypal fees it will be pretty close. Good luck.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Toronto Raptors Cards and Michael Jordan

  5. #4
    I don't think it's necessarily true that you won't get as much money with little feedback. I only have like 9 feedback and I have 3 cards up right now. One is at $76 and the others around $20. I think if you just be honest, make yourself look legitimate, and be true to your word people will buy from you. Nowadays, people don't care if you have enough feedback because there are so many refund policies that they can't really go wrong if they buy from you and you screw up.


  6. #5
    ^

    it is pretty much always true

    you may not notice the slight difference with lower end cards, but try selling something that costs "real" money and you will notice the difference in selling prices

    it's the difference between selling for $76 and $80 or $20 and $23.. Which seems like nothing to you but adds up in the long run.

    this isn't just for sportscards, but for just about any item.. it only makes sense.

    if you were given the choice of buying a card from someone with 2 feedback, and someone else with 2000 feedback is selling the same card, who are you going to buy from?

    if someone is selling a BV$2000 card, are you really going to risk buying from someone whose 100 feedback is all from winning tiny auctions?

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tradebark
    ^

    it is pretty much always true

    you may not notice the slight difference with lower end cards, but try selling something that costs "real" money and you will notice the difference in selling prices

    it's the difference between selling for $76 and $80 or $20 and $23.. Which seems like nothing to you but adds up in the long run.

    this isn't just for sportscards, but for just about any item.. it only makes sense.

    if you were given the choice of buying a card from someone with 2 feedback, and someone else with 2000 feedback is selling the same card, who are you going to buy from?

    if someone is selling a BV$2000 card, are you really going to risk buying from someone whose 100 feedback is all from winning tiny auctions?
    but everyone who has 2000 feedback had to have 2 at one point. Just because someone has 2 feedback doens't make them a bad seller. They could be the best in the world and on their way to the top. Everyone has to start somewhere. You just don't start with 2000, you have to earn it. And honestly, just the fact that someone wouldn't buy or sell from a person with less than 10 or whatever is stupid. how are they ever supposed to boost their feedback?


  8. #7
    Really like the input so far guys...thanks for the help. I was also wondering if it's a better idea to have separate accounts for buying and selling. My reasoning behind this is that if I were to buy something for a good deal, and if I was interested in reselling that item, wouldn't it deter buyers to see that they've paid for much more than I've paid for even though they were still gettting a good price?

  9. #8
    Ebay does not allow a single person to hold 2 accounts. That way u cant bid on your items and so on.

    Hope this helps

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktownraiders84
    Ebay does not allow a single person to hold 2 accounts. That way u cant bid on your items and so on.

    Hope this helps

    So I guess there's no way to hide from the buyers what you've purchased. Alright thanks for the help anyways.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rchurchward
    but everyone who has 2000 feedback had to have 2 at one point. Just because someone has 2 feedback doens't make them a bad seller. They could be the best in the world and on their way to the top. Everyone has to start somewhere. You just don't start with 2000, you have to earn it. And honestly, just the fact that someone wouldn't buy or sell from a person with less than 10 or whatever is stupid. how are they ever supposed to boost their feedback?
    Obviously everyone starts somewhere, but saying that someone with 2 feedback is as reliable as someone with 2000 is something that is very difficult to prove.

    As I said, it has nothing to do with new people being cheats, it has to do with new people having no history of good trading.. and given that, people will be less willing to risk their hard earned money on them.

    It's a pretty simple concept. If your local card dealer said he could get you a card for $50, and then some random person you've never met before stops you on the street and offers you the same card for $50, you're probably going to go with the dealer..

    ..and on ebay, you dont even get to see the card in person, so that makes the risk all that much greater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About SCF

    Sports Card Forum provides sports and non-sports card collectors a safe place to discuss, buy, sell and trade.

    SCF maintains tools that will allow collectors to manage their collections online, information about what is happening with the hobby, as well as providing robust data to send out for Autographs through the mail.

Follow SCF on