Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Card companies making too much $

I cannot believe how bad it has gotten. Now in 07 SP Authentic you do not pull a Auto Rookie Patch every box. The UD Black packs I recieved all 3 of them were no name patch cards #99. The Ultimate Football boxes were even worse. Are other people having similar problems with box and case busting.
    Oh BTW I was also very disappointed with Exquisite and Treasures.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's a business. You can't make too much money.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by asujbl
    It's a business. You can't make too much money.

Yeah but I have collected for over 20 years and in the last 2 it has gotten much worse. Lebrons Rookie year delivered on boxes, but not so anymore.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I thoroughly disagree. To each their own.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by tawana
    Yeah but I have collected for over 20 years and in the last 2 it has gotten much worse. Lebrons Rookie year delivered on boxes, but not so anymore.

the only reason you feel this way is because in 03-04 no matter what rookie stuff you pulled it had value... there is likely never again going to be a rookie class where even the last person drafted has some hobby interest... if you feel disappointed in the high end stuff try out a box of something like topps chrome or a little lower end.... that way if you are disappointed at least you arent out a couple hundred bucks for a box

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by tutall
    the only reason you feel this way is because in 03-04 no matter what rookie stuff you pulled it had value... there is likely never again going to be a rookie class where even the last person drafted has some hobby interest... if you feel disappointed in the high end stuff try out a box of something like topps chrome or a little lower end.... that way if you are disappointed at least you arent out a couple hundred bucks for a box

No no no that is one year and one example. It used to be every box had at least the one rookie auto jersey card, SPX, SP, SP GAME USED etc. Now UD has moved to Vegas so they have to be less commited and more vague on their box delivery. I am a serious big $ collector and have been for a long time. But like the guy said above to each it's own.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See is a joke's Items on eBay

make the big deals bust the boxes, and just pick up the singles for yourself

SCF Rewards
    Country

Don't know what you expect..

So don't buy SPA, no one's really forcing you to.. In fact it's probably the best way to get them to change their ways anyway.

And as for the bad pulls, I mean people have been getting good stuff out of Black (check ebay); so bad luck doesnt mean bad product..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

I don't have a problem with companies doing everything they can to exploit the high end of the market, I'm just annoyed that they've completely abandoned the low end (where I live). I can't justify $90 for a box of cards. $90 for 6 or 7 boxes, sure. Even when they produce something on plain old card stock, they still charge $1.99 for a pack of 5 or 6 cards. If they're going to deliver less than half the cards in a pack than they used to, they shouldn't be charging twice as much for that pack.

I wish MLB & MLBPA would give a license to one more card producer on the grounds that they only produce a single low-end base set with no more than one insert set (like Topps in the 80s). As it is, there's no affordable entry point to the hobby in the current sets. Sure you can still buy older stuff from the boom years for next to nothing, but new (young) collectors won't know that and the stuff isn't in stores except for those 10 packs for $10 deals at K-Mart & Target (which an be an awesome deal in some cases, I pulled a '98 Donruss Preferred Jeter from one). But how many 10 year olds, just starting to collect, want cards of guys who have been retired for as long as these kids have been alive?

Though having said that, I bet Wal-Mart (or any other discount retailer) could make a killing if they bought up a ton of '86-95 boxes from the secondary market and put them on the shelves again for $0.75-$0.99 a pack.