Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hagansp's Items on eBay

Chargers hire Norv Turner

Well Im lost...they fire in my opinion the exact same mold of a coach in Marty, these 2 have similar track records, they cant win the big game, and neither is really a great coach...it really doesnt make sense to me now...

Go out and hire someone young or new (Ie: Mora or Rivera), or throw out a ton of money to someone old and prooven, (Ie: Cowher or Parcells).

Hiring Norv Turner does not make sense to me.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

I agree, I am scratching my head on this one.

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hagansp's Items on eBay

well they just hired Rivera as the LB coach...very solid acquisition!

SCF Rewards

The way I ubderstand it is they hired him because he instilled the offensive system that is in San Diego now. Same terminology and schemes so the transition on offense would be smooth. Plus, the Chargers have a first year offensive cooridinater in Clarence Shellman that may have not been completely comfortable calling the plays. I am baffled by the hire as well but I am happy that they landed a quality defensive coordinator and Ron Rivera as their LB coach. Additionally, Turner has never had the talent like he inherits in San Diego as he did in Washington and Oakland. He had he had old teams that just didn't get it done. I'm not defending the move as much as I am just advicating it due to being my team. I stand by the fact that players win ball games unless a bonehead coach or coordinator calls all the wrong plays in a big game. That happened the entire second half of the playoff game with Cam Cameron and doubt that it will happen again under Norv Turner.

SCF Rewards

Additionally, Turner has never had the talent like he inherits in San Diego as he did in Washington and Oakland. He had he had old teams that just didn't get it done.

I disagree. I think Turner had a team that had plenty of talent, in Oakland. Names like Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Lamont Jordan, Warren Sapp, Derrick Burgess, and Ted Washington. What did he do with the talent? I think where the Raiders are as a franchise speaks for itself.

SCF Rewards

I disagree. I think Turner had a team that had plenty of talent, in Oakland. Names like Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Lamont Jordan, Warren Sapp, Derrick Burgess, and Ted Washington. What did he do with the talent? I think where the Raiders are as a franchise speaks for itself.

Look at those names buddy. The ones I have highlighted are either old, head cases, or unproven as starters. I disagree because a majority of those guys are still there and how good are they AFTER Turner was canned? Haven't won more than 6 games or so since. When a team has had so much history with success and can't sem to keep a HC for more than a year, it is much more than the personal that is being brought in. That problem is at the top starting with the owner. As I said, the guys Turner had in Oakland were not there long, have something wrong between the ears, or were past their prime. He gets guys in San Digo where there will be little turnover for at least the next 3-5 seasons. Way better talent for a guy who hasn't ha it. He just sisn't a motivational guy is all. That has been his key downside. I am hopeful that that changes starting this fall.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See CaliforniaSoxfan's Items on eBay

Turner is garbage. Yes the Raiders had some head cases but they did have talent. The biggest problem for Norv Turner in Oakland was his horrendous play calling. Run on first and second down and then pass on 3rd. His play calling was so predictable it was ridiculous. Norv Turner is an excellent offensive coordinator but I think he's in over his head as a head coach.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If he surrounds himself with good people he should be OK. How hard can the play calling be in San Diego...get the ball to #21.