Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best grading service?

Best grading service?

Hey, I am going to be getting some cards graded soon (Ive never done this before) and I dont know which service to use. I looked at PSA but apparentley along with the grading fees you have to sign up for a membership or somthing? anyway any help would be apprieciated.
    Thanks
    Kyle

I would go over to Beckett's BGS. They are reasonably priced and are pretty much the benchmark for grading. They are tough but BGS cards will bring the most value for a high grade.

Hope that helps.

BGray

PSA and/or BGS

these are the two widely known and widely accepted grading systems

after these two, there are tons of others setting their own standards

I agree with B and pod, try to get your cards graded by Beckett. They have a tougher system and will in return get the most value.

This is my order of rank (IMO):

1) PSA
    2) SGC
    3) BGS

As far as resale value goes, BGS is definitely the way to go.

Don't even waste your money sending to the BMGC or whatever it is that's the Beckett grading club. They'll grade ashes of a burnt card a 10 (which if you read the fine print means NrMt or better).

What kind of cards are you grading? If you send any vintage cards to anyone other than PSA, you are making a huge mistake. PSA is the standard in grading, and even though I don't like Beckett's system (and the fact that they even try to sell BCCG is a complete joke), they do seem to have a very tiny bit stronger value on modern graded cards (occasionally). Personally, I wouldn't buy a Beckett graded card at all, and there are many collectors who feel the same way.

aren't vintage cards graded on a slightly different system?

Yes, Beckett grades vintage cards differently (Beckett Vintage Grading, I believe that's what they call it). Same concept, different holder. This services gets little, if any, respect by vintage collectors. Still, they do have a slight premium on certain modern graded cards, but that may be because they use a scale where their top grade (Pristine-10) is seldom given.

As far as vintage goes, PSA and BGS are a lot closer to each other than they are with new cards. Hell I even see the "ghetto" graders like GAI get pretty much the same value as PSA's and BVG's of the same grade.

BGS still get a premium for higher grades though such as an 8, 8.5, or 9 in like pre=70's cards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast