Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyshawn Deactivated from BUCS

Keyshawn Deactivated from BUCS

He will not play anymore for the BUCS this season ecause they deactiviated him...... Just saw this on Espn news

In the latest shocking development from a championship team gone awry, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have deactivated former All-Pro wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson for the rest of the season.

"Keyshawn has made it very clear to us that he has no intention of wanting to remain as a Buccaneer beyond the 2003 season, and this approach and his actions are having a negative effect on our football team," general manager Rich McKay said in a statement Tuesday afternoon. "We are focused on winning football games. From a player's perspective, from an organizational perspective, this situation has become a distraction."

Johnson, who is midway through a $56 million contract that included a $13 million signing bonus, has been unhappy with his role in coach Jon Gruden's offense during a disappointing 4-6 start for the defending Super Bowl champions.

He put his Tampa home up for sale again last week and had been dropping not-so-subtle hints in the locker room he did not wish to remain in Tampa Bay beyond 2003.

McKay said he spoke with Johnson's agent, Jerome Stanley, and "we agreed that it will not be necessary for him to be present at our facility for the remainder of the year." It appears likely that the Bucs will attempt to trade Johnson in the offseason. The 2003 trading deadline passed in October.

Speaking earlier Tuesday with ESPN's Shelley Smith, Johnson reiterated his relationship problems with his coach, but expressed surprise at the Bucs' decision.

"Honestly, I'm very disappointed because I really wanted to win another championship with this team," he said. "I was never Gruden's guy. He never liked me. I told him I'd rather retire than play for him in 2004. But I also told him I wouldn't be a distraction, I wouldn't go to the media with it and I didn't. I don't know why they released me. I was playing hard, I wasn't dogging it. Tell everyone I'm in New York looking for apartments."

An eight-year veteran and the No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 NFL draft, Johnson has 45 catches for 600 yards and three touchdowns this season -- his fourth in Tampa Bay after starting his career with the New York Jets. For his career, Johnson has 603 catches for 7,936 yards and 48 touchdowns, reaching 600 career catches faster than any other receiver except the Indianapolis Colts' Marvin Harrison.

wow, i dont like him anyway, even tho id like the eagles to get him since they need a receiver

This was shocking to hear today. I am very happy, because he is most likely going to end up with the Cowboys(yay) or the Jets(Herm Edwards is cool, and liked Keyshawn as a Jet). Sucks him and Gruden couldn't work something out, but oh well probably good for Cowboys.

lolol...nice move by the Bucs

teach this guy a lesson (although he's still getting PAID!)

but the one thing I admire about Keyshawn -- he speaks his mind and is not a hypocrite

when asked in pre-season if he deserved to be a Hall of Famer, he said something like this:

"...I am a borderline Hall of Famer; my stats are good, maybe even great, but they don't stand out like those of Hall of fame WR. maybe if I play about 4-5 more years and put up more quality numbers, then yes, I am a Hall of famer. Right now, I don't think so...."

not many good athletes would have been so frank, and answered so directly

actually, i take my comment back...i dont want the eagles to get him...my dad reminded me that hes a cancer to a team

he is too much of an issue. notice every team there is a problem w/ keyshawn?? keyshawn gotta win right?? always the coach not his piss poor attitude. go to san diego. that campaign will last long, we will see what his true colors are even if he posts 1500 yards and 15 tds. then he will be begin for a 80 million $$ bonus. phantom's dad is right. he jus brings the guys down.

and the worse part is, he's on the downswing of his career, so teams don't have to go get him, when there's younger talent available

IMO, Key is in the top 10 of all receivers, the dude can leap and go get them, gruden doesn't know how to use him, and if he wasn't such a deep threat, then keenan and joe wouldn't make the catches they make.

you have to give him the ball, how many years in a row did he catch over 100 balls and go over 1000 yards, he is a gamer if you ask me and the mark of a great player is one that wants the ball on every play, look at TO, think he is a cancer, think about this if you throw him the ball they win, if you don't they lose, the same with Key, look at all the other top Wr's on the other teams when they get the ball, they win if not they lose.

Just give him the damn ball.

wut the hell is wrong with the NFL?...now hes on the fox nfl crew...for wut he did, he shouldnt even be considered for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast