Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

Minnesota deemed healthiest state, Louisiana worst

That is 4 years in a row for Minnesota!
    Minnesota has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the 17 annual reports issued since 1990. The report said Minnesota stayed on top thanks to ranking best in the key categories of fewest residents without health insurance and lowest cardiovascular deaths and premature deaths.

Louisiana, parts of which were slammed by Hurricane Katrina last year, has been among the bottom two states every year the report has been issued. It placed among the bottom five states in six key categories: obesity, workplace deaths, child poverty, infant mortality, cancer deaths and premature deaths.

Country

Sad to see such an abundance of Southern states in the bottom of the list...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See randallscardsales's Items on eBay

i can see Louisiana after the hurricane staying their for awhile

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

i can see Louisiana after the hurricane staying their for awhile

I saw it the opposite way! After Katrina many people did not come back. Also, many of the businesses didn't reopen. I would have thought people would eat out less, etc. Obviously, my thought process was wrong!

Country

Katrina may explain the current ranking, but then what is the excuse for the other Southern states to form a line at the bottom....

SCF Rewards
    Country

I live in northern louisiana, I am from Florida, I see Louisiana as being very unhealthy, too bad they can not use the hurricanes as an excuse for this. Not a big Louisiana fan, but I will stay here as long as my daughter and grand-daughter are here. We will stay north where things seem better.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would say the south probably fries more food and has higher fat/cholesterol breakfasts. Being from Massachusetts I grew up having cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. I know when I stayed in Alabama and Florida there were a ton of pancake houses and the average meal was pancakes, omelettes and plenty of fatty beacon!

This is not scientific and just my observation!

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Country

I grew up in Florida and had Cereal, Grits, Oatmeal etc. for breakfast, had very little fried foods, for lunch it was pretty much the same, I agree there are lots of pancake houses, but if you look at the majority of them they are right off the interstate where truck drivers and tourist's go early in the morning. Maybe my house was not like most typical florida houses, but for this I am thankful.
    Dee

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hagansp's Items on eBay

im surprised Pennsylvania isnt there...i guess the western PA balances the eastern PA...because we eat horrible food over here in philly...cheesesteaks, hoagies, fast food on every street corner....

mmmmmmmm but its sooooo good!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Georgia and Florida all placed in the bottom. Louisiana placed among the bottom five states in six key categories: obesity, workplace deaths, child poverty, infant mortality, cancer deaths and premature deaths. I have been to each of these states and I can believe every word. Sickens me when I think of the money we are dumping into Afghanistan and Iraq. Lot's of people are becoming filthy rich off of our tax dollars.