Thread: Bonzi Wells headed to Memphis

Bonzi Wells headed to Memphis

Blazers traded away Bonzi Wells today to the Grizzlies for Wesley Person, 1st round 2004 draft pick, and cash. Not too sure about this move for Portland, everyone on their team is troubled so why single out Bonzi? Nice job to get a 1st rounder though and Person will add a solid 3-point shooter. Grizz get another scorer but I worry he may disrupt that team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1677419

I think that this is a good trade for both teams. I would have to give the Griz the upper hand though because they have been doing pretty good lately and might end up with a pick n the teens somewhere between 13 - 18 which would definately be in their favor. Plus Bonzi is definately a better player than Brevin evan with his recent problems with management.

I am very surprised that Grizzlies gave up 1st round pick in 2004 for Bonzi

first, everyone knows Portland wanted to get rid of Bonzi (and Randolph's next)

second, Memphis isn't going to make the playoffs this year (they could if they were in the East...but in the West, a 0.500 record or a 42-40 record probably won't qualify you for the playoffs, based on past 4-5 seasons)

thus, Memphis should probably get a high draft pick.

Memphis had leverage -- I wonder why they didn't offer a 2nd round pick?

do the Grizzlies need Bonzi that badly?

I really don't like this move. The Grizzlies have plenty of shooters. They need better defenders. Bonzi really doesn't give them this. I really don't like this move at all!

I agree that the move isn't the best for the Grizz at this point of the season. They have been having a pretty decent season so far, but not good enough to enter the playoffs, leaving them a nice first round draft choice. I don't feel that Bonzi is the answer for Memphis, and could cause some problems. I feel the move was about even for both sides, Bonzi is a scorer, yet not much of a defender, which could hurt them more than help.
    Hidden Content // Hidden Content
    Collecting: Brook Lopez & Cat Osterman

what the Grizzlies need is a big man in the middle to compete with the Spurs and Lakers

not Bonzi

Originally posted by podstock
    what the Grizzlies need is a big man in the middle to compete with the Spurs and Lakers

not Bonzi
    That's very true as well, I would have focused more on a trading for a PF/C instead of a SG/SF.
    Hidden Content // Hidden Content
    Collecting: Brook Lopez & Cat Osterman