Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hagansp's Items on eBay

$5 Bill to get a makeover!

[imgl]http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Art/BUSINESS/070920/AP_5dollar.gif[/imgl] Honest Abe will become Colorful Abe with splashes of purple and gray livening up the $5 bill.The government showed off the new bill Thursday in an Internet news conference — a high-tech unveiling that officials say is entirely appropriate for a 21st century redesign of the bill featuring the Civil War president, Abraham Lincoln.
    The changes are similar to those already made, starting in 2003, to the $10, $20 and $50 bills. In those redesigns, pastel colors were added as part of an effort to stay ahead of counterfeiters and their ever-more-sophisticated copying machines.
    Originally, the five wasn’t going to be redesigned. But that decision was reversed once counterfeiters began bleaching $5 notes and printing fake $100 bills with the bleached paper to take advantage of the fact that some of the security features were in the same locations on both notes.
    To thwart this particular scam, the government is changing the $5 watermark from one of Lincoln to two separate watermarks featuring the numeral 5. The $100 bill has a watermark with the image of Benjamin Franklin.
    The security thread embedded in the $5 bill also has been moved to a different location than the one embedded in the $100 bill.
    “We wanted this redesigned bill to scream, ’I am a five. I am a five,”’ Larry Felix, director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing said in an interview with The Associated Press. “We wanted to eliminate any similarity or confusion on the part of the public between the $5 bill and the $100 bill.”Circulation is planned for the spring so operators of millions of vending machines have plenty of time to make the changes necessary so their devices will accept the new $5 — a denomination used heavily in the machines.
    The bureau will start printing the new notes next week at its facility in Fort Worth, Texas. The goal is to have 1.5 billion $5 bills ready to be put into circulation, at a date still to be determined.
    The new $5 design also incorporates a number of other state-of-the-art security features.
    Perhaps the most striking change is a new large-size 5 printed in the lower right-hand corner of the backside of the bill in high-contrast purple ink. That feature was added to help the visually impaired.
    Lincoln remains on the front of the bill and the Lincoln Memorial is still on the back, but both images have been enhanced and the oval borders around them have been removed. In place of a border around Lincoln’s portrait, the new bill will feature an arc of purple stars. Small yellow “05” numerals will be printed on both the front and the back.
    The center of the bill features light purple which blends into gray near the edges.
    Officials hope all the changes will make it harder for counterfeiters to pass fake bills. In the United States last year, there were 3,945 arrests related to counterfeit bills, equaling a loss of $62 million, according to the Secret Service.
    Before the new bills go into circulation, there will be an education campaign focused on banks designed to let the public and businesses learn about the new security features.

$5 bill to have splashes of purple, gray - U.S. Business - MSNBC.com

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jsab4807's Items on eBay

Kinda looks like Monopoly money.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hunnied's Items on eBay

Thats so cool! I love the colored 10's, 20's, and 50's. And now colored 5's. Awesome!

Ashley=)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Cool. Should probably convert most of my money to Canadian seeing as that is going to surpass the U.S. Dollar pretty soon.

I wish they'd get rid of the dollar bill and make the dollar coin permanent.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Denver Broncos
    See BBcardsRI's Items on eBay

In relation to the post above: as soon as you get all your pretty new $5, add them to all your other colorful money of higher denominations that has already been released, and go and buy some gold.

~Dave

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See shayne1911's Items on eBay

Wow... More colorful money! I love the colorful money! haha Can't wait until it comes out..

SCF Rewards
    Country

In relation to the post above: as soon as you get all your pretty new $5, add them to all your other colorful money of higher denominations that has already been released, and go and buy some gold.

~Dave

gold and silver...that's what i've been doing...already have too much toilet paper as it is now, don't want anymore