Jason White Heisman Trophy Winner

Jason White won the Heisman tonight, doesn't surprise me because quarterbacks always get credit. Personally I would have given it to Larry Fitzgerald but congrats to Jason.

Fitzgerald deserved it more. Oh well looks like we found another qb that will soon flop in the NFL.

Fitzgerald has 2 more years if he stays that long. You had to figure White would win with the start Oklahoma had this year. Also, I heard yesterday that a bunch of votes were in before the Big 12 Championship game anyhow, so his performance didn't & wasn't gonna hurt his vote totals.

Fitzgerald might not have another chance. Remember that if the Trojans are as hot next year as they are this year, it will be Williams turn.

A player on a 8-4 team DOES NOT deserve the Heisman Trophy folks. I was sad to see Chris Perry finish 4th. IMO he deserved it more than Fitzgerald did.

Jason White got it and deserved it. Congrats to him.

Originally posted by Warrior
    A player on a 8-4 team DOES NOT deserve the Heisman Trophy folks. I was sad to see Chris Perry finish 4th. IMO he deserved it more than Fitzgerald did.

Jason White got it and deserved it. Congrats to him.
    I respectfully disagree

football is the ultimate team sport

If Fitzgerald catches 6 TD passes, but the Pitt defense gives up 7 TDs, Pitt loses

but does that make what Fitzgerald accomplish any less meaningful.

Fitzgerald will make a far more impact in the NFL than Jason White

as a matter of fact, ESPN analysts are saying that Miami (OH)'s Ben Roethlisburger will be the first QB taken (not necessary the #1 overall...but the first QB to be selected).

Mike Williams also will make more of an impact than White

White had an incredible year.....but his offensive line gave him all day to throw.

Look what happened in the Kansas St. game; they blitzed the hell out of OU, and White had a miserable game. If White was that good, the offense would've scored 28-35 points, regardless of OU winning or losing.

Dan Marino is a perfect example of a great QB with a bad team. He always managed to put up points on the board for Miami; the problem was that the Dolphins defense always gave up more than what Marino helped them score

Originally posted by podstock
    Fitzgerald will make a far more impact in the NFL than Jason White
    You can't guarantee that. Many starting NFL QB's have come out of the late rounds (Tom Brady, Aaron Brooks, Jay Fiedler, Matt Hasselbeck, Anthony Wright, Jon Kitna, Marc Bulger, Jeff Garcia, etc.). I wouldn't bet that White will be a better pro than Fitzgerald but it's not impossible. Peter Warrick for example.

The Heisman Trophy isn't about who will make a better pro. That is something that can be predicted easily but not always accurate. The Heisman Trophy goes to the best player in college football, not the best pro prospect. IMO Jason White was the reason OU was able to be 12-1 up to this point. Even though he choked in the KSU game he was big all season. If Brent Rawls were in there I don't think they would've won as many games. The right man got it.

Also, Jason White will be back at OU next fall. He received a extra year of eligibility due to his knee injuries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1690450

Originally posted by Warrior
    You can't guarantee that. Many starting NFL QB's have come out of the late rounds (Tom Brady, Aaron Brooks, Jay Fiedler, Matt Hasselbeck, Anthony Wright, Jon Kitna, Marc Bulger, Jeff Garcia, etc.). I wouldn't bet that White will be a better pro than Fitzgerald but it's not impossible. Peter Warrick for example.

The Heisman Trophy isn't about who will make a better pro. That is something that can be predicted easily but not always accurate. The Heisman Trophy goes to the best player in college football, not the best pro prospect. IMO Jason White was the reason OU was able to be 12-1 up to this point. Even though he choked in the KSU game he was big all season. If Brent Rawls were in there I don't think they would've won as many games. The right man got it.

[/url]
    First, I never guaranteed that Fitzgerald will be a better pro. Given that Fitzgerald is coming out early for the NFL draft and White is staying for yet another year -- that tells you something, doesn't it?

In football, where one play can kill your career (ask Ki-Jana Carter), if you know you are going to be drafted in the 1st round, you LEAVE.

The only reason you come back to college is because you want to be drafted higher the next year than you were projected the previous year.

Second, you are right, the Heisman goes to the best player in college football.

But, you would reason ---- the best NCAA player should make the NFL roster, correct?

Eric Crouch, whom many here including myself said that he wouldn't amount to anything as a QB, is doing as much in the NFL as you or I.

And now, White is coming back, while the more talented ones like Fitzgerald are leaving early.

Now...while White is a QB, and a fairly above average QB, I do believe he is a Heisman candidate; on the other hand..Eric Crouch was a joke of a QB, who couldn't pass if his life depended on it.

It's sad that QBs of great teams (Torreta of Miami, White of OU, Crouch of Nebraska) get to put up great stats b/c every athlete on defense and offense is better than the opposing team. These Heisman winners were surrounded by NFL-ready players, so naturally, they'll put up great stats. But that doesn't mean they're the best college players.

If you put a roster of NFL hall of fame offensive linemen, and hand ME the football, I'd be able to run for 5 yards a carry.

Put Jason White on Pitt; put Fitzgerald on Oklahoma -- who would have an EVEN BETTER season?

Fitzgerald.

white has another year to play now but after the sugar bowl he mite need to quit.he mite hyrt his knees again when the swarming defense of the tigers get to him.