Thread: upper deck npn's

upper deck npn's

I noticed that Upper Deck only offers you odds on some of the inserts on their NPN's. How can they do this? Since companies are forced to offer the NPN's by law to prevent some sort of lottery, I thought they had to offer the same odds to those playing through an NPN as their paying customers?

That's only in Canada that they have to do it, I think that they didnt think of Canadians when doing the NPN's.

Actually it is because of US laws too. That's why we saw both Fleer and Upper DEck come on board this year. As for how they are limited the available cards - I assume they ran it past a company lawyer and he said something like...well as long as we give them a shot at something for nothing that'll cover us. I have doubts that they are correct though. Anytime you see a sweepstakes they always say "no purchase necessary. For a chance to win any of the prizes...." This would be like Jack-in-the-Box having a contest and saying no purchase necessary, but if you want to win the car you have to buy a burger! I'm with you, I think they're just trying to do what little they can.

Actually I fear the day my favorite little envelopes come with cards inside stamped - congratulation for the NPN rather than the little letter they send. If they did that they'd likely be legal and most people would stop sending in the requests.

Nice post bstee... gave you 100CC for it.

I have a feeling your hunch of stamping NPN's is in our near future. As for UD... what could you really take them to court for? It appears to me they are just doing the minimal possible to avoid a lawsuit. If someone were to sue them, first it would cost thousands of dollars in lawyer fees. Then it would be dragged out for a few years. Then you wouldn't get much as a settlement because they are only partially in violation.

Thanks for the CC! As far as who would sue, it could be the lawyers themselves. I remember once I became a part of a class action when Blockbuster was sued because some of their stores close before midnight. A lawyer returned his movie on the day it was due only to be charges a late fee. He sued on behalf of all Blockbuster customers...and won...or settled for 50cents coupons for each customer (big deal) but he got $17,000,000 for his trouble. (Now Blockbuster lets you bring your movies in by noon the day after they are due)These things happen all the time. Do I think it will happen? No, but could it? Maybe...there's a lot of lawyers out there trying to find someone to sue....sorry to any lawyers amungst us, there's good and bad in every profession. I have no complaints. I know I spend far less on postage than the NPN cards I get back. Packs are $4-$5/pack and I get a chance for the good stuff for 37 cents.

One other thing about NPN's. The cards have never been shuffled into a pack, into a box, into a case. If you have a chance at getting a grade quality card these are the ones to try. I just got back two Gem Mint 9.5 from Beckett and they were both from NPNs.