Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards

Whats cards are more lucrative short term or long term

I jus wanted to know is it basketball or football..........If im gonna spend money on boxes that will cost over hundred dollars...I want my moneys worth.....

basketball is better

See Cardking80's Items on eBay

Dmiles- first off stop making these 3 word posts cuz they annoy the hell out of me...also i think hes looking for a fact based opinion not just, "its better"....i just thought i should say my two cents about that....also, for candlehousemin i would have to say its up to you....it depends on what box you buy....for this year i would say go for basketball because of the hype lebron and carmelo bring and its easier to get an expensive card of them than of football.....but it also depends on the box like i said....bowman rookie and stars basketball is almost gareenting your money back where as playoff contenders football is a great product and probably has a better chance of getting sumthing big but its also a hit or miss situation....overall, its up to you.

cardking - i can't write long posts...sorry...if you don't like what i am writing, don't read my posts then...skip them

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Anaheim Angels Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Dodgers
    See the_question_and_answer's Items on eBay
    Send PayPal to SallyLonh Member is PayPal Verified

canuhandledisman- I think basketball is better but for investment purposes I think there are more considerations then just sport.
    1. There are less players and more superstars in the NBA thus you have a better chance of pulling cards that will sell.
    2. There are less basketball cards in the market and they have not been around too long thus increasing there value due to supply and demand.
    3. Although football is more watched I think basketball collectors have a higher propensity to spend money on cards

PLEASE NOTE I think a lot of investing in cards is product specific and there are many ways to go about it (i.e. 2004 topps bazooka NBA box is about $48 you get 3 jerseys chance at carmelo autos and nice parrallels you will probably get your money back with less risk or you could buy 2004 pristine box for $110 and end up pulling somethng really great or absolutely nothing at all. I think the well researched lower end boxes are the route to go this year in basketball.
    My 2 pesos

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

Re: Whats cards are more lucrative short term or long term

Originally posted by canuhandledisman
    I jus wanted to know is it basketball or football..........If im gonna spend money on boxes that will cost over hundred dollars...I want my moneys worth.....

The best advice that anyone can give you is to collect what you like!

If you're into cards to make money, don't waste your time. There's a lot better business ventures out there than cards.

If you stick with what you like, in the end if you spend $100 on a box of cards and don't get that $1,000 insert, at least you're left with a bunch of players you like.

Right now, I'd say basketball is the best for short term. Some real hot rookies in LeBron, Carmelo, and Bosh will fetch good profit turnarounds if you pull cards of them.

In the long run though, I think football's the way to go. I wasn't too crazy about this years rookie class, but there's always superstars that take a couple years to blossom (IE whoever heard of Rudi Johnson before this year).

SCF Rewards

Re: Re: Whats cards are more lucrative short term or long term

Originally posted by IggyWH
    The best advice that anyone can give you is to collect what you like!

If you're into cards to make money, don't waste your time. There's a lot better business ventures out there than cards.

agree with Iggy!

if you are into investments (even for a fee hundred bucks, go into stocks, mutual funds, etc)

cards are a tough investment, b/c a card is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I have a 1952 Bowman Duke Snider, with sharp corners. Traded for it back in late 1980s for a bunch of cards (I forget which, but the cards were from 1980s).

it's worth $200. Can't even get a dealer to offer more than 50% of BV

and this is on a vintage card that appears to be near-mint

SCF Rewards

Thanks for all your help...Im starting to understand the collecting art now....So is it betta to buy boxes or just the specific cards of players you want........But in the long run football cards will be worth more than basketball...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

Originally posted by canuhandledisman
    Thanks for all your help...Im starting to understand the collecting art now....So is it betta to buy boxes or just the specific cards of players you want........But in the long run football cards will be worth more than basketball...

It really all depends on what you want... if you're only looking for certain players, it's best to just buy singles because chances are in a box, you're not going to get that special card of your favorite player. There's nothingin the hobby that beats the thrill of busting open a box though. I for the most part buy who/what I like as singles... but every now and then splurge on a box of cards.

I believe football is the better long-term investment. Basketball is a hot, short term investment in my opinion because of the big name rookies getting a chance to play right away.

Now sure, it looks like LeBron is the real deal and his cards will stay popular... but here's a great example, Vince Carter. He's still a great NBA player and obviously a fan faorite because he received the most votes for the All-Star game... but has far as his card values go, they are prtty much completely down the crapper.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

trying to make money out of buying boxes is impossible. The only way you can really make money is buying singles cheap and reselling them in a different market. I used to buy cards off eBay for around 10% book and try to resell them at my bidboard for 20-35%, i made enough to finance my autograph buying at the time, but it stopped working. Football is even more hopeless. Its a very limited market as there is almost no interest outside of the US, even in the country its only full strength during the regular season.

and btw DMiles- seriously stop those posts of yours just take up space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast