Thread: Point of Beckett?

Point of Beckett?

I never understood the point of Beckett Price Guides. I don't know from actual experience, but people tell me that if I try to go to a card shop to sell my cards, they'll give me 40-50% book value for each card. So what exactly is the purpose of book value? And is 40-50% book value accurate?

Its somewhat accurate for dealers. Dealers can ask those prices in a shop since the cards can sit around for years until they find the one person willing to pay high. But for most those prices are inflated.

I believe the most accurate pricing for collectors can be found on EBAY. When you add a few bucks to the price for shipping and handling, that is how much people are willing to pay immediately for you card. If you shop it around you could probably get more but I think EBAY is a good low end estimate for collectors.

"I don't know from actual experience, but people tell me that if I try to go to a card shop to sell my cards, they'll give me 40-50% book value for each card"

Find out the name of a shop that pays 40-50%, and let the rest of us know. We can march on the shop to sell our cards. Shops may pay 40-50% for the hottest rookies at the time, but most of the time its more like 10-15%. Then they try to sell em for 40-50%.

I put a value on a card I want and that is what it is worth to me no matter what any price guide says. But most of us here(myself also) use the Beckett to put a value on cards being traded to make the trade even for the guys trading.

Thanks, John

Damn, so it's pretty much a lose-lose situation. It doesn't really matter to me, I don't plan on selling very much, unless I get several duplicates. Was just wondering.