Thread: Complete newbie needs advice

Question Complete newbie needs advice

Hello all

I am a complete newbie to the world of collectible sports cards. I have just inherited 3 large boxes of cards - two boxes of baseball cards, one box of basketball cards. These are large boxes, about 18 inches by 24 inches, and they're all full. It's a ton of cards. The newest ones appear to be from the early '80s.

I need to get information on the values of these cards, and I have no idea where to start.

What's the best way of figuring out what I have? Am I going to have to look up each individual card? Where can I look them up? Is there anything I should do to preserve their condition?

I'd appreciate any advice you all could give.

Thanks

There is a magizine called Beckett...they are sold at most places that sell magizines, the supermarkets in my area sell them. You're going to have to go through them all to find out how much they are all worth. The best way to preserve them is to put the card inside a penny sleeve, which is a very thin plastic sleeve, then put the card and peeny sleeve in side a top loader, which is a thicker plastic sleeve. You can find those at any sportscard shop and I believe at many large stores like target (correct me if im wrong) Hope this helps...feel free to ask more questions...also, welcome to the site!!

If the cards are from the 60's 70's and 80's then I bet you have some pretty expensive cards!

wow thats a great thing that you got those i bet each decent player is around $60 each

I looked through them, and noted who made them. The big lots include 1989 Fleer, 1990 Fleer, 1988 Donruss, 1989 Donruss, and 1990 Donruss. There is a smaller lot of 1970 to 1980 Topps.

There is small lots of the following
    K-Mart 20th Anniversary 1962 - 1982 Topps MVP Series
    Toys R Us Collector's Edition Rookies
    Revco Topps League Leaders
    K-Mart 25th Anniversary 1962-1987
    Kaybee Young Superstars of Baseball
    Provigo 1986 Collection (Venezeula)
    Rite-Aide Team MVPs Topps
    K-Mart Memorable Moments Topps
    Meadow Gold Superstar Series
    Pacific Cards & Comics
    Championship Baseball by Milton Bradley
    Dream Team 1988 Topps K-Mart
    M&M Baseball Players Trading Cards
    Topps
    Jumbo California Sunflower Seeds Autograph Series
    Swell Baseball Greats
    Drake's Big Hitters
    O-Pee-Chee
    Fleer
    Donruss
    Nestle
    Classic Draft Picks
    Woolworth Baseball Highlights
    K-Mart Superstars Topps
    Hills Hitmen Topps
    All Star American League
    Bowman
    Upper Deck
    1988 All Star Commemorative Set Topps

Are any of these anything special?

Also, I've noticed that some cards are very shiny, and/or have a small baseball diamond hologram on them. Are those special? I found one card that is completely a hologram, the whole front.

There is also some cards that are smaller than the "normal" size.

There is some picture shifting cardboard coins, too. And temporary tattoos, puzzels, and stickers. One puzzel has an autograph on it that I can't read. Anyway to find out who signed it?

Also, there's an autographed picture of Don Kessinger that's card size. Is that anything special?

I will check out Beckett's. Thanks for the help!

I don't really know much about the oddball stuff that you have (IE not major brands, the Nestle, Swell, etc) but as far as your big lots that you have go, most are worthless.

There's a few okay players in those sets like just off the top of my head I know those 89 issues got Ken Griffey Jr rookies. They book for like $5 or such.

Depending on what you got in the UD, you might have some decent cards. UD started in '89 and there were a couple good cards from the set. Mostly the Griffey rookie is why the set did so well though.