Thread: WHY BUY PACKS???

WHY BUY PACKS???

why buy packs when you can buy singles on ebay??? I have been picking up some decent cards cheap lately, these are just my most recent wins:

Shane Battier Topps Chrome Refractor RC BGS 9 $2 (books $30 ungraded)
    Kirk Haston UD Flight RC #'d/500 PSA 10 $2
    another Kirk Haston UD Flight RC #'d/500 PSA 10 $2
    Oscar Torres UD Flight RC #'d/500 PSA 10 $2
    Jamison Brewer UD Flight RC #'d/500 PSA 10 $2

they were all from the same seller so combined shipping was $4...so only $14 for all five of the cards above...at my local shop most of the packs are $6-$7 so $14 only gets me 2 packs and the last time I pulled a card worth more than $10 bv (or any auto or game used) was about 2 years ago, and then when you look at grading fees to grade 5 cards wow, I know none of these guys are stars but if one of them has a couple good games I should be able to pay for them all, I feel bad for the seller who had to pay for all the packs these came out of and then paid about $10 each to have them graded and then sold them for only $2 each??? ebay is great for buyers!

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    I have the same view. I usually just buy singles on ebay. I can never pull a card(s) that is basically worth on ebay what I paid for the box or pack.

I don't really buy a ton of packs anymore either. I get all my GU/Autos on eBay for a few bucks but I'll buy some 2004 Topps and Donruss packs occasionally to add to my set. Expensive packs are a huge waste of money. Card companies need to lower their prices significantly. $120 for a pack with 3-5 cards in it is insane.

You probably get more value just buying singles because most packs won't hold anything worth what you payed for. Also, if I only was looking for jerseys or auto's it would be either too frustrating to do packs because of the low odds or too expensive to buy things like the playoff packs.

However, I enjoy the mystery of opening packs. Also, I don't mind getting a ton of packs with nothing that great to make a base set and getting a good pull every once in a while as a suprise.

Originally posted by DMILES
    If you buy singles, you won't waste money on packs
    What do you think this post is about??!?!

Hey CP - are these for trade or sale... i need one of the hastons if they are... lmk

tutall...they are for trade/sale

one reason they went so cheap is that the seller titled them like "kirk haston upper deck rookie #113" and made no mention in the title that they were #'d/500 or graded PSA 10...the Battier title just said "Shane Battier Topps RC" it didn't even have Chrome or Refractor or BGS 9