Thread: Kashin R316-A

Question Kashin R316-A

Is anybody familiar with the large version of the 1929 Kashin publications R316. I have a Ruth Kashin R316-A, or atleast that's what I think it is. Does anybody know of a card catalog that the R316-A is listed in? The card measures 4 7/8 x 6 3/4, & is the same silver-gelatin photo of the smaller better known Kashin. Not sure how they were distributed. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the set but here's the info I got on them from the 2002 edition of the Sports Collectors Digest Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards...

1929 R316 5x7 Photos

"There is nothing concrete to connect this set of player photos with the Kashin Publications card set which carried the R316 designation in the American Card Catalog except that these 5x7 heavy paper pictures use the same photos and graphics as the smaller cards. It is thought that the photos are the work of Charles M. Conlon and that the 5x7's may have some connection to the Spalding Sportings Good company for whom he worked. The photos feature white borders and facsimile autographs on the front, along with the players city and league on two lines of type at the bottom. While the photos are all the same as seen on R316, the city/league designation on some of the photos is sometimes in black instead of white as on the card, or vice versa. Because almost every card from R316 is known in the 5x7 series, it is reasonable to expect that pictures of Frank Hogan and Jimmy Welsh may also exist. A number of players in the 5x7 set do not appear in the Kashin Publications set."

The Ruth books for $250.00 in NM condition. Hope this is what you were looking for.

JustNuts,

Thanks for the reply. I actually just recieved my first Standard Catalog yesterday, so I did find that info. Now my main issue is that the cards are listed as 5 x 7, but my Ruth card is 4 7/8 x 6 3/4. It really does not look trimmed at all, so I would love to find another one to compare it to. Thanks again.