Thread: 1979 Topps Question

Mortigan

1979 Topps Question

I have a 1979 Topps #4 Ron Guidry sitting in front of me and in the Beckett annual it says that is a Stolen Bases Leader card. So I get on Beckett.com and these numbers come up for Ron Guidry 5,7,202,500, I take a peek back at my Beckett book and there is no mention of an error card for the #'s, I was curious if anyone new anything about that. Any help would be appreciated.

The Ron Guidry you have is probably from the Burger King set. For many years in the late 70's Burger King and Topps teamed up to issue cards through special promotions at Burger King. The cards were exactly the same except for the numbering and in some cases the players had different cards then their regular Topps card that year. If you actually compare a regular 79 to the 79 you have the stripe at the bottom is a little darker shade of orange on the Burger King. In that set is also a card of Tommy John on the Yankees as he was signed by them in the off season. The regular Tommy John has him pictured with the Dodgers. The Yankees had team sets issued in 1977, 1978, 1979 and other teams also had issues. In 1978 The Tigers had a team issue through Burger King that included a totally different rookie card for Jack Morris and Alan Trammell. They had their own card instead of sharing with 3 other players. Hope this gave you a little insight on those issues. Any other questions, just let me know.

Mortigan
    Thanks John, I figured there was a logical explanation.