Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kings Trade O'Sullivan

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout(129)
    Country
    See ehigbee's Items on eBay

I am actually really happy they didn't trade for a goalie at the deadline. It would be nice to see a goalie come up through the Kings' ranks and become an important cog in the royal machine. Seriously, tell me the last time the Kings have had a decent goalie that they drafted/signed? And please don't mention Storr. That guy was such a huge disappointment. All he was good for was making multiple All-Rookie teams.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

I am actually really happy they didn't trade for a goalie at the deadline. It would be nice to see a goalie come up through the Kings' ranks and become an important cog in the royal machine. Seriously, tell me the last time the Kings have had a decent goalie that they drafted/signed? And please don't mention Storr. That guy was such a huge disappointment. All he was good for was making multiple All-Rookie teams.

I'm really hoping Jonathan Bernier is the guy that makes it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See djrecords's Items on eBay

Since the team is so young, I think we'd benefit from a veteran goalie. Most goalies don't mature until at least they are 25 or so, so i'd like to see bernier get at least a quality year in the minors before he gets the job.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See goalieboy3124's Items on eBay

I've lost faith in bernier. He's putting up terrible numbers this year

and hey Storr ROCKED! but stephane fiset was better!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know about bernier yet. Look at quicks state in manchester, they aren't much better. I just think that team isn't very good right now.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See cssportsca's Items on eBay

argh! another PC down the drain

Another one bites the dust, huh?

-----------------------------------

Been so busy lately, I havent even got to Hockey chat to be part of this thread...

So my thoughts on this trade and the team (long)

The Trade - I like Sully but he is in a similar situation as Cammy....He was an asset but not a KING (KING meaning a lifer, a King for Life). Lombardi preaches how he wants this team to be a KING and wants them to bleed KINGS. He want this team to fight for each other and do whatever it takes to win for the team and not as an individual. Sully was that until last summer....DL hardballed Sully into a contract and unfortuanately it didnt work to the Kings advantage as Sully would end up exactly like Cammy.....an asset...not a team player....
    In Williams we have a proven 30 goal scorer...Sully was not going to get 30 goals for at least a few more years....The Kings would not have traded for him if they didnt think he would recover and be back to old form....Who would? He is expected to be in the line-up in the next 10 days. Williams is a scorer, something the kings need badly.

Goalie situation - I am very happy with Quick. If you watch him every game - this guy keeps the Kings in the game - if only they would score enough - The Kings have had 30 games decided by one goal - Quick was a huge part of that.....Bernier is having a tough year in Manchester...Thats nice....let him see what a PRO season is all about.....The deciding factor will be how he comes out of this season and how he will do next year (My guess is he stays in Manchester as they sogned Ersberg to 2 years last week). He doesnt have to be ready for the NHL now - Let him learn in Manchester - They are playing well now and we will see how he reacts to the playoffs

Forwards - All of them are streaky....they all have their good streaks and bad streaks....Kopi is riding a 4 game goal and pt streak (4-3-7), Fro, Zues, and Quinc are riding 3-4 game streaks right now...but they had bad streaks in Feb....They need to learn to be consistant!!! Murray should keep the line together. They need a Veteran Elite Forward to help show them how to be consistant (something I hope they get in the summer)

Defensemen - Minus Gauthier, I LOVE the defense....Doughty, What can I say about this kid except I love him...The guy doesnt even look like a rookie - Skates like Paul Coffey, smart, plays the most minutes on the Kings and among Rookies, Plays in every situation (PP, PK, Last Minute, OT, Shootout). Johnson, since he came back from shoulder surgery, he has played with new life...He seems to make smarter plays and doesnt get starstruck against the elite in the NHL anymore....The way he is playing now, I know why DL got him...Quincey, Let's just say the Red Wings gave the Kings a gift by waiving him....This guy is awesome...love him on the PP...never afraid to take the shot....Harrold, plays forward, defense, switches to both positions at different parts of the game....does whatever is asked of him - you need a guy like this on the team. Greene, He is our new Matty Norstrom. MEAN GREENE DEFENSIVE MACHINE - ranked 10th in blocked shots in the NHL...sticks up for his teammates and an Alt Captain....

I think this team will be like Philly was a few years ago - bottom of the league to near top....by next season...I hope they can get into the playoffs....even if it is a 1st round loss....just to get a taste of the playoffs and know what it takes to get there and to stay there....
    You have to understand, they are the youngest team in the NHL...They are going to lose games and they are going to make mistakes.....its just going to happen....

Some of the things I dont like about the Kings....Line switching...Murray switches the lines up almost every game...drives me crazy - How can anyone get consistancy when he does that....Only a few stay together (Kopi/Fro), Stoll/Calder). And he lets the hotter goalie play until he falls over (or gives up 6 goals), then he rides the next one until same situation - These kids are not Brodeur or Luongo....They can not play 70 games.....at least not yet.

and lastly.....just a few stats to show what they are doing this season.....before Kings fans give up hope......

PP% - 20.1 (11th NHL) - 18.5 in 07-08, 17.4 in 06-07
    PK% - 81.8 (14th NHL) - 77.7 in 07-08, 75.3 in 06-07
    Shots Allowed - 27.5 (3rd in NHL) - SJ & CLB have 27.4
    GAA - 2.83 (7th in West)
    GAA - 188, 212 in 07-08, 222 in 06-07 at the same point (64 games)
    Face Off% - 52.4% (4th in NHL)
    Hits - 1,676 (2nd in NHL)
    Age - 25.318 avg - (youngest in NHL) - Chicago is 2nd with 26.043
    Career Highs - 8 players are already past career highs in stats (some are rookies but still some are veterans)
    Interesting stat - When Kopitar scores, the Kings are 15-3-2 this season....38-18-8 all-time.....I thin we need him to score more...Haha

After the Sully trade - The Kings are still sitting pretty good in the draft
    First Round – 1 pick
    Second Round – 1 pick
    Third Round – 1 conditional pick
    Fourth Round – 3 picks
    Fifth Round – 2 picks
    Sixth Round – 2 picks
    Seventh Round – 3 picks

Hope you enjoyed the read....
    Last edited by CSSports; 03-08-2009 at 10:58 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

that was a great read. i agree with you a LOT. my problem is consistency from quick. not game to game but period to period. hes looked GREAT some games and terrible the next. i think he's got what it takes but needs to develop more. I want to see the kings land kovalchuk at the draft but find a way to keep that 1st round pick cause i want duchene or kane!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See cssportsca's Items on eBay

Would be nice to Kovalchuk on the team but the Kings will be looking for a superstar that will not forget about personal stats but be a team player - They will have to buy into the team.....
    It wont be easy for anyone coming here....but I think the rewards will be greater

SCF Rewards
    Country

i was hoping we'd hear from you :) the thing with murray switching lines is this in my opinion.

1. he's kept the big lines together for the most part. the top six have been the top six all season up until they traded o'sullivan.

2. he's juggled who is playing (ivanans, zeiler, purcell, boyle, harrold, richardson, etc) so he's had to move them around to balance the lines. that's a lot of guys for the bottom six line spots. some is from injury, some is from poor results. but it happens and i think he's had the right guys in there for the most part.

3. he's been consistent with who he has on the power play (again, top six) as well as D. i just think he's had to adjust with who is dressed each game.

for the rest of the year (barring injury) i think you might see some more juggling to find out who plays well with who, but you have your top six...

kopitar, frolov, purcell, stoll, brown, moller. i think he wants to see what he has in moller (who will be what o'sullivan was and why i think he was tradeable) and purcell has played very well of late.

personally, i like that six, but i'd like to see kovalchuk play with kopitar and brown and move frolov down to play with stoll and purcell. then you could have moller play third line with handzus and simmonds and have to figure out who your fourth line guys are going to be. (ivanans, calder, zeiler, boyle, richardson, etc.)

as chris stated, i really like our d. i think we need to put harrold there full time. then we're set with doughty, johnson, greene, quincy and harrold and hopefully teubert or hickey will be ready next year. either way, i really like our top four with some quality young guys coming.

as far as net, i think quick has played well, but i don't think he's cup quality. i'd really like to see a veteran goalie behind that young defense. much like the lightning had with khabibulin. they were young and made some mistakes but khabby won a lot of games by himself.

i'm not sure if that means you keep quick and trade ersberg, or trade quick while his value is high (maybe for kovy?) knowing you have bernier and a few other young goalies in the pipeline. heck, they might even trade bernier to get kovy (which is likely since i have a lot of his stuff).

but i do think we're a big scorer and veteran #1 goalie away from making a run.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Next year i'd love to see these lines

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
    Frolov-Stoll-Moller
    Purcell-Handzus-Simmonds
    Calder-Boyle-Richardson

Doughty-O'Donnell
    Greene-Johnson
    Harrold-Quincey

Ersberg