Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

And All That Could Have Been: the 08-09 Canadiens

A very disturbing fact about my beloved Montreal Canadiens: we have left 33 points on the table against non-playoff teams and the team currently sitting in 8th (Carolina). The list of losses to bottom-feeders: Anaheim, Atlanta twice, Buffalo twice, Carolina twice plus an OTL, Edmonton, Florida, Minnesota, 2 OTL's against the Islanders, Tampa twice, and the Leafs twice.

Great teams beat bad teams more often than not. When you look at some of those names of teams that have defeated the Habs, it is clear that we are not a great team this year. Even if we were just a very good team, and had taken half of those points, we'd be battling with the Bruins for Eastern supremacy. As it stands, we're focused more on staying ahead of teams 9, 10, and 11 than keeping pace with the Flyers for fourth.

I'm an optimist and I like to look up. With our remaining calendar, and the Flyers' remaining calendar, on paper it should be somewhat easy to get to 4th. But the game isn't played on paper, as our record sorely indicates. Of the remaining 13 games, only two are against teams in the Eastern Conference that are--as I write this--ahead of us in the standings, the last two games of the season against Boston and Pittsburgh. That means the next 11 games (and yes I include Chicago) are games that we can, and dare I say, should, win. Two with Toronto, two with Ottawa, and one more against each of Tampa, Atlanta, and the Islanders. Those are games that should be a walk.

But nothing is ever quite so easy with this team, leaving me to wonder what could have been . . .
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I empathize with you totally (even though we are rivals). The Sabres had one of their worst games in franchise history tonight in terms of shots on goal. RIP 08-09 season. At least the Habs will probably make it in.

BANNED

Country

Ottawa , Atlanta and the Islanders are maybe out of the playoffs but they are all playing great hockey ! Islanders beat NJ , Chi and Mtl recently , while Ottawa and Atlanta just been through a 5 - 6 games winning streak.

There's no easy game in this league and to me , calendar means nothing

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills

Richard, I understand what youre saying. It sucks to think about all the wins that "could" have been. The only thing I disagree on is the fact that you sound like youre saying the Habs are far superior to teams below them such as the Canes, Sabres Panthers when in reality they are only 2, 3, and 5 pts ahead of these teams. You can say "what could have been", but so can fans of these teams...like myself lol..The Habs are not far ahead of these teams in terms of wins/points so I dont think it exactly makes sense to call the them "bottom feeders" while comparing the Habs to the Bruins..Again, I do understand what youre saying, and am not attacking you in any way...just questioning youre logic slightly in relation to "bottom feeders" like the Sabres or even more so the Canes (who are currently 1 game behind the Habs) lol

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (73)
    Country
    Twitter: @@sholi2000 See sholi2000's Items on eBay

Once again another 2 must win games coming. I wonder who plays in nets? I hope it's Carey.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

I think he might go with Halak Shane...time will tell...

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Richard, I understand what youre saying. It sucks to think about all the wins that "could" have been. The only thing I disagree on is the fact that you sound like youre saying the Habs are far superior to teams below them such as the Canes, Sabres Panthers when in reality they are only 2, 3, and 5 pts ahead of these teams. You can say "what could have been", but so can fans of these teams...like myself lol..The Habs are not far ahead of these teams in terms of wins/points so I dont think it exactly makes sense to call the them "bottom feeders" while comparing the Habs to the Bruins..Again, I do understand what youre saying, and am not attacking you in any way...just questioning youre logic slightly in relation to "bottom feeders" like the Sabres or even more so the Canes (who are currently 1 game behind the Habs) lol

That's exactly the point that I'm trying to make. The Canadiens are, top to bottom, a more talented and skilled team than the likes of Carolina, Buffalo, and Florida. They were forecasted by almost everybody to be the class of the East buttressed by the returning emerging core of last year and bolstered by new off-season acquisitions. Had they played to their potential, this discussion wouldn't be happening because they'd be right up there with Boston rather than being only a small handful of points ahead of the teams that are clawing and scratching their way into the playoffs. The logic is fundamentally sound: a very good team, which the Habs are when they play a full 60 minutes of Canadiens hockey, should beat lesser teams. We haven't done that, and that's why we're down there among them being set up be demolished by the real titans of the East.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Even though I'm disappointed with last night, and much of this season, I still found it in my heart this morning to grab the McFarlane Centennial 2-pack of Alex Kovalev and Saku Koivu. Even if they're not back next year (though there's a rumour floating that Saku's new contract is already signed & sealed) I've still got great memories of these two, particularly Saku.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That's exactly the point that I'm trying to make. The Canadiens are, top to bottom, a more talented and skilled team than the likes of Carolina, Buffalo, and Florida. They were forecasted by almost everybody to be the class of the East buttressed by the returning emerging core of last year and bolstered by new off-season acquisitions. Had they played to their potential, this discussion wouldn't be happening because they'd be right up there with Boston rather than being only a small handful of points ahead of the teams that are clawing and scratching their way into the playoffs. The logic is fundamentally sound: a very good team, which the Habs are when they play a full 60 minutes of Canadiens hockey, should beat lesser teams. We haven't done that, and that's why we're down there among them being set up be demolished by the real titans of the East.

Usually over a season if you have the talent it will even up as it a long season. Of course when The Cup playoffs start I think Talent is overrated as goalies can steal a series, snipers and get hot, D's can heat up, etc. It not always the best team that wins talent wise.

p.s. So don't despair as in a series the Hab's can beat any titan of the East on any given day or short series. That is just my opinion I do not care about regular season. If you make the playoffs you have a good as chance as anyone even if you have to play a juggernaut based on regular season record.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

The funny thing is that Montreal really tried to be the best this year but it seems the pressure of the 100 year anniversary got to them.

My team the Leafs (management not players) tried to tank the season and come in last but failed again. They also failed to make the playoffs and left over 10 million in cap space on the table. Good news is they have room to sign free agents. Bad news is they won't be getting a top draft choice.

At least for Montreal they will most likely make the playoffs and anything can happen in the playoffs. Also I don't get why any Montreal fan would want Gainey to start Price over Halak since Halak has played way better than Price recently.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast