Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Ovechkin on goals celebration: 'You have to show emotion if you're an emotional guy'

BY: Pierre LeBrun

The story is getting old, perhaps, but the throng in one of the NHL's biggest media centers would not let it go on this day. Not with the man himself here in Toronto.

But credit Alex Ovechkin. He didn't duck the media, or the questions, over his much-publicized "staged" 50th-goal celebration from last week. He answered every single question from a scrum four layers deep in the visitors' dressing room at Air Canada Centre on Tuesday morning, his 10-minute session seemingly satisfying the inquisitors.

"It's a big number, I think for everybody. If I get it, why [can't I] celebrate? If you win the lottery -- a million dollars -- you go to the bar and drink a lot," the Washington Capitals star said. "I scored 50 goals and I just celebrated."

Cha-ching! The money quote. Thank you, Alex.

Hey, give the guy credit, he's not happy he's been slammed so heavily for his 50th-goal routine, but he's trying to have fun with it.

His goal celebration antics came under scrutiny when my colleague from "Hockey Night in Canada," the legendary Don Cherry, criticized Ovechkin late last month for being a little over the top and disrespectful to the opposing team.

"He can say whatever he wants," Ovechkin said of Grapes. "I think fans love when something is going on around the league. His TV show is very popular I think and I like it."

"Coach's Corner" is by far the most watched hockey segment in the game. When Cherry speaks, people listen, whether they want to admit it or not. So when he first brought this up, it sent waves throughout the hockey world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

BANNED

Country

Very true. This story is getting old. If people didnt like it.......to bad. He can and will do it. Crying about it isnt going to change anything.

SCF Rewards
    Country

He wore a Coach's Corner T-shirt and shorts before the game at the ACC last night. ;-)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See TysonX504's Items on eBay

I say let the guy be and let him have his fun.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

I say let the guy be and let him have his fun.

thats what people used to say in other sports about the likes of Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco, Manny Ramirez, Dennis Rodman.....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See TysonX504's Items on eBay

thats what people used to say in other sports about the likes of Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco, Manny Ramirez, Dennis Rodman.....

I don't care about other sports or Owens, Cinco, Ramirez, Rodman. It's not like he's dancing at center ice on the other teams logo

BANNED

Country

I don't care about other sports or Owens, Cinco, Ramirez, Rodman. It's not like he's dancing at center ice on the other teams logo

It's not like he will change his name to Alexander Ovecheight like Ocho Cinco or think he is the best thing alive since sliced bread like Manny being Manny.

He was just happy to score a goal...and Don Cherry loves the attention
    Last edited by Captngeetch; 03-26-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Language

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stretchdrummer's Items on eBay

He should change his name to Fifty Goals. Yea...that's the ticket. :-P

C'mon, this is really getting old. He celebrated, not disrespectfully....just celebrated. It's done and over with.

Moving on now.....

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it was ok ...I mean there are bigger problems with hockey the media could talk about...like ticket prices.

.heck ten years ago remember ,,when all the fighters were doing the hand jesture with thier hand s aruond the waist" im the champ after the fight"....cherry didnt like that either

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

It's not like he will change his name to Alexander Ovecheight like Ocho Cinco or think he is the best thing alive since sliced bread like Manny being Manny.

He was just happy to score a goal...and Don Cherry is an attention who re

no but he was focusing the attention all on him instead of the teammates as well JUST like the players mentioned, same antics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast