Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mason Inflation

Country
    See 41mears41's Items on eBay

19 games doesnt make a career...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roy.the.greatest's Items on eBay

19 games doesnt make a career...

Maybe not a career, but he doesn't deserve book values comparison to names like Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. Price is way overvalued at this point of his career.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Letting Beckett dictate what your cards are worth is the first mistake. It's just a guide, and it seems to be growing more and more inaccurate all the time.

defintly agree with you!

p.s. please EVERYONE, vote in the contest thats in my signature!
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stlbluesfan87's Items on eBay

My whole point wasn't that it was right or wrong, I just wanted to find out how much this kind of jump was unique? I remember Crosby and AO and they were high from the minute the cards came out, it wasnt like Mason who wasnt expected to be in the league and is now leading it in shutouts.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

The market the player is in makes a difference too, can anybody explain why Rick Nash gets no hobby love?

Country

i still think it is very tough to value a young goalie early in his career, i mean price has had a bad year sure, did roy have a great year every season, or luongo or marty? i think people want consitency when it comes to goalies. 1 bad season wont break a career but if price doesnt find his consitency he may end up like raycroft and theodore. i think that is gaineys fault still for trading huet and people hyping him up to roy and dryden at 19. prob not the best for a rookie to have all those expectations on him. i havnt followed prices card sales as i am not a collector of him, have they dropped much this year over last years sale prices? mason i think is going to rise in $ as he continues to have success but he plays for a real low market team with not too much of a fan base, which also plays into consideration, price plays for the habs which has prob one of if not theu highest collector fan base, maybe toronto, detroit, chi are close and now pitts. if mason plays for say the hawks or leafs i think his card is 20-40$ higher right off the bat.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gerberlili's Items on eBay

Yes the silliness of pricing does pop up its ugly head from time to time. In this hobby, especially on a TRADING post such as this, people are trying to get bang for their buck....they're trying to get NEW cards they want with their cards others might want. It's trying to save money. When somebody gouges a price up nearly 50%, there is cause for concern. Especially for those of us who have a hard time keeping up in this hobby. Have I set price before?? I have, but it was on product that did not have a listed price yet. In a forum such as this, if you want to trade your Mason card today, trade it for the value it is today. If you want the value it's "gonna be next year", hold onto it until next year. You don't gouge fellow traders for an extra buck like that. It's not very cool.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The market the player is in makes a difference too, can anybody explain why Rick Nash gets no hobby love?

Cause the CBJ havent made the playoffs. Ive started to see an increase in interest in Nash card both locally, and among collectors online.

I think the market has a little to do with it, but a lot of it is that they werent very good for quite a while. Being bad means you dont get much national TV exposure, even with "The Goal" last year. If they win a round in the playoffs and look good doing it, they'll get more national TV exposure, and therefore more hobby love.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Last year after Carey came back from Hamilton, and Huet got traded, he went on a tear and the Habs ended up in first place. That's when his values just started to skyrocket. The same sort of thing is happening this year with Mason. Rookie goalie carrying his team into the playoffs. I do agree that it's a little odd to see the rapidity of the surge and just how quickly the hobby is turning towards a goaltender from the Columbus Blue Jackets as the saviour for the season's rookie crop. Stamkos? Forget it. Brunnstrom? No chance. Brassard (again, a Columbus rookie) was flying high until he got injured. The rest of the crop has been very underwhelming this year, so we're seeing this rapid "eggs in one basket" mentality for the 08-09 rookie crop. You can't go wrong in the short-term, as he will win the Calder and possibly even the Vezina, but what happens after Columbus gets knocked out by one of the top 3 teams in round one?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

You can't go wrong in the short-term, as he will win the Calder and possibly even the Vezina, but what happens after Columbus gets knocked out by one of the top 3 teams in round one?

Bite your tongue :D

There's also Voracek and Filatov who you forgot to mention.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast