Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

An idea: Basic, elementary news channel?

I just had a thought and figured, I'm as bored as an electrician in an Amish community, so why not throw it out there for discussion.

A news channel that reported the news on a very basic level with ultra-simplified explanations that makes it extremely easy for everyone to understand. When reporting a story, definitions and explanations are given for terms and concepts people may not understand. Science, law, politics, international affairs, etc all involve ideas and especially terms that a lot of people haven't dealt with enough to fully comprehend.

I really think a lot of people hear things on the news, but they really don't understand what a lot of it means...or they think they do, but are often very wrong. This would give a much more detailed explanation of events and (hopefully) help people understand what they're hearing better.

Of course one problem would be that most people think they're a lot smarter than they actually are (present company excluded, of course ) and no one likes to feel like they're being "talked down to." Some people would be turned off because of that, I'm sure.

So any thoughts? Would it be helpful and could it survive? Or just a waste of my time to even think about?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think its a good idea. Not everyone has a law degree or a doctorate, so a lot of things need to be explained. I dont know if it would survive, but it'd be worth a shot.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

I have a law degree and some of the business/financial lingo is hard for me to decipher :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it would be a great idea, especially for the everyday jobbers like myself. I get 43.7896% of the things that are talked about on your mainstream news channels and such but the other .... leaves me baffled for the most part.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dhudson3417's Items on eBay

You mean like a news channel should be?? That would be nice..

SCF Rewards
    Country

Of course a channel like that is ideal, but it would never happen. People want to be entertained, and a channel like that would get terrible ratings and shares.

Of course one problem would be that most people think they're a lot smarter than they actually are (present company excluded, of course ) and no one likes to feel like they're being "talked down to." Some people would be turned off because of that, I'm sure.

I think this concurs with the long-standing sentiment of anti-intellectualism in the US at the same time though, so even though people want to appear smart, they want to be smart in the simplest way.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it is good. Some people don't have the knowledge for some things, including me. They should explain the terms at the bottom of the screen or something like it

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

I think it is good. Some people don't have the knowledge for some things, including me. They should explain the terms at the bottom of the screen or something like it

That's a good idea. I was thinking taking time to explain things would draw stories out and possibly cause people to lose interest...but if they could have graphics or pop-ups to give simple definitions, that could give the needed info without slowing down the report. I like that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks. That is the only way you can get to everyone withou affecting your ability and desire to give news. They have limited time so they can maximize this also at the same time

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

good idea angel, but what about the people that can't read? :)