Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Naslund retiring? Let the Great Debate begin

Let the Great Debate begin.

If a New York Post report is accurate that Markus Naslund will retire from the NHL at age 35, following a poor 46-point season with the Rangers, then the battle lines will be drawn in Vancouver as to whether the former Canucks captain should have his No. 19 jersey retired.

Some will shout "Yes!" Others will scream "No!"

As the franchise leader in career points (756) and single-season leader in goals (48), assists (56) and points (104) by a left-winger — established in the 2002-03 season on the famed West Coast Express line with Brendan Morrison and Todd Bertuzzi — you could argue that Naslund did more than enough to have his jersey join Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden in the GM Place rafters.

http://www.theprovince.com/Sports/Na...700/story.html

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gregmal05's Items on eBay

I don't know, this is not baseball, 756 does not impress me too much from a hockey standpoint.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See briannjen's Items on eBay

I don't know, this is not baseball, 756 does not impress me too much from a hockey standpoint.

sure for the league, but retiring numbers is for the team, and if he is the leading all time points scorer for the team, i dont see why he shouldn't be. I wish him luck though, he was a classy guy, and him retiring in the middle of contract that where he probably was getting rather overpaid is a classy move as well. Hope he goes on to play in a Swedish league or something.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gregmal05's Items on eBay

sure for the league, but retiring numbers is for the team, and if he is the leading all time points scorer for the team, i dont see why he shouldn't be. I wish him luck though, he was a classy guy, and him retiring in the middle of contract that where he probably was getting rather overpaid is a classy move as well. Hope he goes on to play in a Swedish league or something.

Thats true. I will say though I know plenty of Ranger fans who hope he hangs them up so they can get some much needed cap relief. Not to mention possible pursue Gaborik or Kovalchuk.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See briannjen's Items on eBay

Thats true. I will say though I know plenty of Ranger fans who hope he hangs them up so they can get some much needed cap relief. Not to mention possible pursue Gaborik or Kovalchuk.

yeah.. id much rather have seen him play like he did back in the vancouver days, but he's not and with the salary cap they cant afford that money tied up.