Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

RIM CEO Makes US$212 Mill. Offer To Relocate Phoenix Coyotes To Southern Ontario

It's been denied by the mayor of Vaughan, greeted with skepticism by Leaf fans and treated with derision by the league.

But is there still a glimmer of hope that the GTA could finally be getting another NHL team?

That appears to be at least a little more likely, after RIM CEO Jim Balsillie offered to buy the struggling Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday.

The offer is worth about US$212.5 million and comes with a huge string attached - any purchase is contingent on the club relocating to a still unnamed location in southern Ontario.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_34324.aspx

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Make it 7!

Of course, if Southern Ontario gets an NHL team, Toronto will want one too.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (73)
    Country
    Twitter: @@sholi2000 See sholi2000's Items on eBay

Cool

Make it 7!

Of course, if Southern Ontario gets an NHL team, Toronto will want one too.

haha!

Buttman will do everything in his power to not have the team move to Canada.

I'd welcome another team in Ontario, Winnipeg would be great but that shipped sailed with the building of the 15,000 seat MTS center.

SCF Rewards
    Country

...Winnipeg would be great but that shipped sailed with the building of the 15,000 seat MTS center.

Despite that, I doubt Winnipeg could support a team -- it couldn't before.

It looks like Hamilton may well get its team, though. Although on CBC, they were mentioning something about an idea with Gretzky getting 10% equity, putting the team in Kitchener, and building an arena named after Gretzky's dad, which would be interesting, although it is speculative.

The thing is, Phoenix obviously can't support the Coyotes. The idea of Phoenix as a venue was totally asinine in the first place, and if Buttman wanted to say something about this whole situation, that would have been the time for him to protest.

No matter where the team goes, the NHL will still make money on the fact that the Phoenix Coyotes did exist -- the market is huge regarding souvenirs of defunct teams...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

haha!

Buttman will do everything in his power to not have the team move to Canada.

I'd welcome another team in Ontario, Winnipeg would be great but that shipped sailed with the building of the 15,000 seat MTS center.

Winnipeg could and should be able to with the NEW NHL. Remember there was no cap back in the day and small time teams had no chance of competing against the rich. LEVEL Playing field now!!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It is level only to the extent that teams that make a lot more money than teams that have much smaller revenues can't exploit the fact by having $80M payrolls anymore. Winnipeg's MTS Centre holds 15,000 people. Even if they sold out every game and had full corporate sponsorship (the latter unlikely in this economic climate) their revenues would still be a fraction of what the other 6 Canadian teams make. Compare:
    GM Place: 18,630
    Saddledome: 19,289
    Rexall Place: 16,839
    Scotiabank Place: 19,153
    Air Canada Centre: 18,819
    Bell Centre: 21,273

The Habs take in something like $2.5M every single game. Winnipeg would neither be able to match the ticket prices of Montreal and only be able to seat 60% of Montreal's number at full capacity. As much as I would love a team back in the 'Peg, it isn't economically viable, salary cap or no.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

RGM is right......

Even if Winnipeg were to build a new area (like Kitchener would have to, or Hamilton would need massive renovations to do) so they could hold 19,000+ seats.... maybe I'm out to lunch on this, but I don't see the corperate support being there.

There isn't enough people to buy $50,000 boxes, or $200-a-game season tickets. I have no doubt they could fill a 19k seat arena, but is there enough big business there to make it work on the corperate level?

SCF Rewards
    Country

From what I hear, Jim Balsillie has tons of money -- the CBC referred to what he's paying as "pocket change for him".

Given that he is making money hand over fist from inventing the Blackberry, what would he have to lose by investing in a hockey team, even if it lost money? Think of the write-off against the profits he is making elsewhere -- accounting-wise, it seems to make sense.

Hey, stranger things have happened...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stlbluesfan87's Items on eBay

It's the smart thing to do, so why is the NHL so against it? It's about the stubborness of the commisioner.

Country
    See 41mears41's Items on eBay

I'd say anywhere in Canada is better then Phoenix, lets just hope it isn't too close to any other markets. I.E. Detroit, Toronto, Montreal..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast