Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Former NJ Medical School Student Suspended Over Racial Description

    Ex-Student Says NJ Medical School Discriminated

    A former student claims in a lawsuit that the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey discriminated against him for the way he described his background in classroom discussions on cultural diversity.

    Paulo Serodio said that in 2006, he told a professor and classmates that he was ``white, African, American,'' which he says accurately reflects the fact that he was born in Mozambique but later became a U.S. citizen.

    He said some classmates and staff members at New Jersey Medical School found it offensive that a Caucasian man would call himself ``African-American'' and that the fallout led to harassment and eventually his suspension from the school.
    So a white person who was actually born in Africa and then became a US citizen can't be an African-American, but a black person who was born in the US, whose parents were born in the US, whose grandparents were born in the US, and has never set foot on African soil is an African-American...makes sense right? Reverse racism at it's finest!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    So a white person who was actually born in Africa and then became a US citizen can't be an African-American, but a black person who was born in the US, whose parents were born in the US, whose grandparents were born in the US, and has never set foot on African soil is an African-American...makes sense right? Reverse racism at it's finest!
    i know you hate lawsuits, but I think you support this one...as you should. I hope he takes them for all the money they have!

    I'd like to know what idiots are in charge of this school and thought it would be a good idea to suspend him, instead of suspending the faculty or students who posted flyers mocking him or harassed him. Seriously...

  3. #3
    I hate unfounded lawsuits where people are trying to blame their own stupidity on someone else or make a quick buck...this is very founded. I'm not surprised some ignorant people harassed him about it, but like you said, how can the school justify suspending him for that in any way?

  4. #4
    Dave Matthews, the whitest guy in the world, is an African-American. He was born in South Africa.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    I hate unfounded lawsuits where people are trying to blame their own stupidity on someone else or make a quick buck...this is very founded. I'm not surprised some ignorant people harassed him about it, but like you said, how can the school justify suspending him for that in any way?
    agreed

  6. #6
    should I be offended if someone calls me white? should I demand that people refer to me as Irish-American, even though my family has been in Texas for nearly 200 years and I have never been to Ireland?

    I work with a large population of Mexicans, and many are Mexican-Americans. A co-worker referred to another guy as a Mexican. He seemed a little offended and said, "I was born here, my parents were born here, and I don't even speak Spanish that well. I'm an American."

    Isn't that what we all are? Americans........unless we're illegeal aliens.

  7. #7
    Before this goes off topic. The paperwork asks for your ethnic background NOT your heritage! So a white person is not an African American unless that person has a black family member (parent, grandparent etc) then it would work. My heritage is German-Irish but I am Caucasian ethnic.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondsaway View Post
    Before this goes off topic. The paperwork asks for your ethnic background NOT your heritage! So a white person is not an African American unless that person has a black family member (parent, grandparent etc) then it would work. My heritage is German-Irish but I am Caucasian ethnic.
    That's what we have a problem with...why does African-American refer to someone who has never even set foot on African soil? I understand it's referring to ethnicity, but the term is incorrect...and I think that's what this guy was trying to point out. He is more African-American than a black person who is fifth generation New Jersean. He actually has a logical reasoning to be called that.

  9. #9
    Somewhat true..again its ethnic not hertiage. Yes his heritage is african american, but the term african american is the "politically correct" term for black/colored. I didn't make it up just smart enough to know the difference between what 2 different words and their meanings are. So if he chose to use that term as his ethnic background then maybe he should use a dictionary to see what "ethnic background" means.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •