Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Hockey card question

Country

Hockey card question

I'm thinking of getting into hockey once again. Had some high end stuff sold everything and bought alot of football. Now Im looking to start again. I know hockey very well so that wont be a problem but I need help with sets. Havent collected hockey since Malkin was a rookie but what are the highend sets nowadays. The Cup is still the best set like the Exquisite of football. But then whats after that. I love the designs of the SPA FW patch autos /100 and the FW RC autos /999 but those are numbered to high. SPX I believei s high end but its on-card. And if I remember correctly the difference between hockey and football is that the RCs in hockey hold some value. I see base RCs sell for quite a bit sometimes. Football not so much. Anyways, I'd just like some help because I mainly go after big names from high end sets. Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

This year would be Stamkos, Mason, Wheeler, Doughty, Voracek, Brassard, Brunnstrom, etc.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jaccob Slavin, Ryan Dzingel, Brogan Rafferty, Derek Whitmore, Blackhawks, & 2003-04
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Country

Yeah I know the players but just wondering about the sets...What are the high end sets? TBTW Im a big Leafs fan so I go after Schenn, Kulemin, Tlusty etc...plus other high end (Ovie, Crosby, Malkin, Parise, etc) RC autos mainly.

Country

Upper Deck Black Hockey, nice hits nice cards.
    Trilogy is nice but I've been hosed with my hits.
    Upper Deck Sp
    Upper Deck Ultimate
    all over $100-200++++
    I like Black

any of these are high end and you can get great pulls.
    and then theres Ice, Masterpieces, Artifacts, Champs. all around 80-100 box.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shawnthemon17's Items on eBay

Well itg has a few high end sets. But they have no rookies. For rookies i would go with The Cup like you said. Ultimate Collection, Sp Authentic and SPX Have Nice Rookies this season. UD Black does not have a lot of rookies. Mason, Turris, Okposo, Giroux and Brassard are the only decent ones that are not redeemed. Personally i would go with ultimate collection. You get around 2 rookies per box and there are some pretty sick patches.

Country

awesome thanks! Yeah I figured The Cup, Ultimate, SPA, and SPX are the 4 best for rookies. I like the RC patch autos mainly on-card...Is Ultimate and SPA patch autos pretty close value wise?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See steen101984's Items on eBay

ultimate pricing hasnt come out yet but they should be similar welcome to another leaf fan i collect steen stralman and tlusty and a little kulemin as well welcome back

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills

You got it right with The Cup, Ultimate, SPA and then I suppose SPX (Though Im not a big fan). Honestly I think the best "bang for the buck" is SPA (unless, unlike me, you can afford The Cup lol)

Glad to see youre coming back to the dark side...lol

Good luck getting back into Hockey

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See goalieboy3124's Items on eBay

for rookies if you want quantity then go for UD Series 1 or 2. If you want quality, I'd say go with The Cup, SPA, or SPx. The cup is by far the best product out there if you can afford it. SPA offers two or more rookie autos per box plus a few regular numbered rookies. SPx offers a rookie jersey auto and a rookie jersey per box plus some regular rookies. Series 1 and 2 have 6 rookies a box but they're not as nice as either from SPA or SPx. Good luck! and don't collect brian boyle rookies cause hes mine