Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Official Review: 2009 Upper Deck Series 2

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsor, Upper Deck, for providing us with this box to review.

16 packs per box
    20 cards per pack

MSRP: $64.99-$74.99

CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS
    - LOOK FOR ONE (1) 1989 UPPER DECK BUYBACK IN EVERY BOX, ON AVERAGE!
    - PULL TWO (2) MEMORABILIA CARDS PER BOX, ON AVERAGE!
    - LOOK FOR ONE AUTOGRAPH CARD PER BOX, ON AVERAGE!
    - LOOK FOR 20TH ANNIVERSARY BUYBACK MEMORABILIA!
    - LOOK FOR DEREK JETER 1993 ROOKIE AUTOGRAPHED BUYBACK CARDS!
    - FIND ONE (1) 20TH ANNIVERSARY MEMORABILIA CARD IN EVERY CASE, ON AVERAGE!
    - LOOK FOR USA BASEBALL MEMORABILIA!
    - LOOK FOR 2009 20TH ANNIVERSARY CARDS!
    - COLLECT THE ENTIRE 500 CARD REGULAR SET!
    - LOOK FOR O PEE CHEE INSERT!

PRODUCT BREAKDOWN:
    Regular Cards and Rookies
    - Base Set - 500 cards - Perfect for Set Collectors!

Inserts and Parallel Cards
    - Base Set Gold Parallel (# to 99)
    - 1977 O Pee Chee Insert
    - 2008 USA Baseball National Team
    - Eight (8) 2009 20th Anniversary cards in every box, on average!
    - One (1) 1989 Buyback card in every box, on average!

Autograph Cards (1 per box, on average)
    - Inkredible
    - USA Baseball National Team Autographs!
    - UD Game Materials Autographs #'ed up to 99
    - 20th Anniversary Buyback Autograph cards!
    - 1989 Buyback Autograph cards!

Memorabilia Cards (2 per box, on average)
    - UD Game Materials
    - USAB National Team Jerseys
    - USAB National Team Jersey Autographs #'ed up to 225
    - 20th Anniversary Buyback Memorabilia cards!
    - 2009 20th Anniversary Memorabilia card! (One per Case)

WHAT WE PULLED

Base - 280/500 (56%)
    Dupes - 0

1977 O-Pee-Chee (4) - Aramis Ramirez, Vladimir Guerrero, Derrek Lee, Joe Mauer

20th Anniversary Buybacks (2) - Tom Foley, Rob Deer

USA National Team (4) - Blake Smith, Kyle Gibson, Mike Leake, Scott Woodward

Game Materials (1) - Paul Konerko Single Jersey

Inkredible Autographs (7) - Alexei Ramirez, Burke Badenhop, Gregorio Petit, John Maine, Glen Perkins, Ramon Troncoso, Steve Holm

USA National Team Autographs (6) - Blake Smith, Chris Hernandez, Mike Leake, Mike Minor, Ryan Lipkin, Tyler Lyons

USA National Team Jersey (1) - Kentrail Davis
    USA National Team Jersey/Autograph #/225 (1) - Josh Fellhauer

Final Ratings (Out of 5):
    Base set: 3.5/5
    Fun: 3.5/5
    Overall design: 4/5
    Value: 5/5
    Re-buy: 5/5

Overall: 21/25 (84%)

Series Two breaks away from the norm with most follow ups to a set released earlier in the year. This release is able to stand on it's own. Granted, the base cards look the same, but it really is a different set with what it offers.

Something that I noticed after sorting back through the cards is that I did not receive a single duplicate. Considering the amount of cards in this box, that is an amazing achievement. Not only did I not get any extras, over half of the base set was completed in this box. For a set of 500 cards, that is always a nice bonus.

Though there is a lack of insert sets as compared to Series One, this set does have some. It continues with the O-Pee-Chee cards as well as the USA National Team set. However, the 20th Anniversary Buybacks are really nice to see. A great reminder of where Upper Deck started back in 1989. Wonder if they did a buyback on every card from that set (including the Griffey RC and the Dale Murphy reverse negative error) as this would be one heck of a chase set to put together.

Really hard to complain when you happen upon a hot box like I did, though some will argue the ratings are too low. I was shocked to see a hot box. It took around three packs to realize something was up and then the hits kept coming. The hits were of the same nature as Series One, but I'm really glad to see the US National Team get its due and have cards devoted to it every year in this release as well as others.

Overall, taking out the fact I got a hot box, Series Two is a nice bang for the buck. It's a great set for set collectors. The price point is affordable to most people. The chance at hot boxes on a low end product makes it worthwhile.

Thanks again to our sponsor, Upper Deck, for giving the opportunity to open and review this release. If interested in more information on this product or others, be sure to check them out at upperdeck.com.
    Last edited by Enigma; 06-01-2009 at 05:06 AM.
    Hidden Content , Working on Hidden Content For Charity

Hidden Content - 120/140 (85.7%), Hidden Content - 107/271 (39.5%)

***LOOKING TO PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS? PM ME FOR ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES. WE HAVE RATES AS LITTLE AS LESS THAN $1 A DAY!***

Woo-hoo Tony,Caitlin,s voo-doo brought you a hot box,Great break and review.Thanks for the box upperdeck.Take care Steve

Very nice break... Awesome to see no dupes also.... In my box of series 1 seems like i pulled 2 of every card i pulled
    Magglio Ordonez 665/4851 13.7%
    AJ Guyton 75/87 85% plus 5 1/1's
    Hidden Content

Wow! Very nice break and review! Thanks Upper Deck for providing this!

Darin

Seems like Upper Decks send everything to get reviewed and make their product look good and then screws the consumers with the auto's and game used

HOT BOX!!! Great Break! Thanks Alot UD!!
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Thanks to Upper Deck for this box!

This box looks to be a great value for the price. You get a ton of autos and GU cards and the set looks great!

Great review Tony. I need to get a hold of a box of this stuff to get some of those USA auto's.

Hidden Content | NFL HOF Player RC Collection: 183/251 (72.91%)
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Always looking for vintage stars/semistars/rookies in all sports.

Awesome review!!! nice break!!! thankd again UD!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast