Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: religion, hope , faith

religion, hope , faith

I am just a man with my own personal experiences and outlook on life. I was raised catholic and believe in a higher power, God. I have had many struggles in life and demons to overcome, but one thing is constant, when I go to church and have God in my life than things seem to go better for me. Some will argue that I am weak and need God as a crutch, I need something to believe in. Some will argue that I use God as my hope to keep going on and something to hold onto when things are bad. All I know is when I go to church I feel great when I leave and am able to make it through another week without giving in to my demons. Is this all just a fallicy that tricks us human beings into believing everything will work out for the best, our hope, our faith just a way are brain helps settle are emotions? It sure can be argued this way, right? I, one man believes this is God at work and if you are willing to believe in him completely, no matter the situation, you will come out a better person and at peace.
    A lot of debate goes on trying to prove God exsits and we all have our opinions, I am one man, and this is mine.

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    Thanks for the good post!

The way I look at it, is it possible it's all a myth and I'm following an imaginary figure? Yes, it is possible...but based on my experience and my knowledge, I don't believe so. And I'm not someone who just blindly follows what I'm told...in fact, I don't deal with authority very well at all, especially when it's wielded just for the sake of authority. My beliefs are very different from my parents, the church I grew up in, and the religion I grew up, so I can assure you, I haven't just accepted everything I've been "brainwashed" with. I don't understand how you can knock somebody for that.

One simple way I always look at it: If I'm right, I go to Heaven and spend eternity in perfection. If I'm wrong, I die, I turn to dust or whatever...I may or may not even realize I was wrong. If someone who doesn't believe is right, they die and turn to dust or whatever...but if they're wrong, they go to **** for eternity. I like my situation better.

Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    One simple way I always look at it: If I'm right, I go to Heaven and spend eternity in perfection. If I'm wrong, I die, I turn to dust or whatever...I may or may not even realize I was wrong. If someone who doesn't believe is right, they die and turn to dust or whatever...but if they're wrong, they go to **** for eternity. I like my situation better.
    Yes, but following based off fear is hardly what I would call faith. Not saying that is what you do but for those who do.

And don't you find it the least bit sketchy that one would spend an eternity in **** simply for not believing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonds_25 View Post
    Yes, but following based off fear is hardly what I would call faith. Not saying that is what you do but for those who do.

And don't you find it the least bit sketchy that one would spend an eternity in **** simply for not believing something?
    my point of the post is not to say who and who will not go to heaven. I am pointing out what faith and God has meant for me and how it helps me in life. I am hoping others will read this and give God a chance. I am also hoping for others to share their stories also. Maybe you have a different outlook on life. What is it the you believe in that helps you through life?

That's not why I follow, it's just good incentive. I believed long before I ever had that thought...I actually have quiet a few reasons I believe.

Not really...it's a notion that's very common in humans actually. If someone repeatedly and constantly ignored you, did exactly what you asked them not to do, and basically denied you even existed, would you want to help them out, let alone give them the greatest present ever? And it's not like it requires a lot of work or effort...all you have to do is ask.

Some people have that question thinking God wouldn't allow that, which I can understand...I disagree, but I can understand the sentiment. Some people have that question thinking if that's how God is, then I don't want to follow him and that's just ignorant and prideful. A lot of people have too much faith in their own abilities and think they have a say about their fate. You didn't have a say about your birth and where you came from, why would you have a say about your death and what happens after that? We can control a lot of things in this world, but we can't even control many of those things...where do people get the ego to think even though we can't control our own death, we control (or even know) what happens after death? Just because we've figured out a lot of things doesn't mean we know everything...or even half of everything.

And that's definitely not aimed at you Bonds, I don't know how you feel about it...that's just something that often comes up that seems very silly and naive to me.

All the following is just my opinion, and mostly I am rambling, I hope I can add to this discussion.

If God does exist, i find it hard to believe he would set forth predetermined rules for us to follow and as a reward you get to go to Heaven. He gave us Free Will for a reason, and I firmly believe if there is a God then he will recognize you for the life you led and how you led it.

I am for all intents and purposes a man who has never believed in any religion, I find it all very bizarre that ALL the religions in the world essentially say the same thing..."Be good to yourslf and be kind to others". I know there is more, but to me these are universal laws for leading a good life. But from what I have learned (and please feel free to corect me) 99% of all wars fought have been fought in the name of one God or another, save for maybe the last three wars. Armed with this knowledge, I can not follow any religion. There is a phrase from I think Family Guy (sorry for the lame reference) that says..."Religions spend way too much time arguing about the tiny differences, instead of noticing all the huge similariteis", and this is how I see things. And with this view point, I choose not to follow any religion specifically. This being said, if you asked me when I was younger if I "believed" in a God, I would have laughed at you for being dumb and spewed some science based crap at you and explained that we (life) are a fluke, or better yet a formula that could happen almost anywhere given the right circumstamces. But as I get older and more educated, I have learned that science sure has a lot that it can not explain, life being the BIGGEST of them all. We are, for lack of a better word, magic. We don't know how/why we came to be here, imprissoned on this "pale blue dot", in the middle of nowhere.

So, to your original statement....I do not judge you as having a "crutch" by choosing God. My opinion is, what ever you need to get through another week is totally acceptable by my standards (not that my opinion holds any weight) as long as you choose to abide by the laws of treating yourself good and being kind to others. I actually envy you a little. I have tried to believe / accept God but I just can not. The world is (can be) an extremely cruel place and sometimes I just wish I believed that once we are done here, there is somewhere else to go. Unfortunately (and this soemtimes keeps me awake at night) I really think once its all said and done, that we are all just meat in the ground, lights out.

Nash

Hmmm...I disagree. But you do whatever is right for you.

And, OPT: as they say on 4chan, Pascal's Wager fail.

so are you saying that no matter what good someone does during their lifetime, they will still go down to **** if they don't believe in god? Or they will go to **** because they have not had an instance where they have experienced god enough to believe that something like that exists?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboymike View Post
    Hmmm...I disagree. But you do whatever is right for you.

And, OPT: as they say on 4chan, Pascal's Wager fail.
    As I said, that's not why I believe, just an incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by duwal View Post
    so are you saying that no matter what good someone does during their lifetime, they will still go down to **** if they don't believe in god? Or they will go to **** because they have not had an instance where they have experienced god enough to believe that something like that exists?
    Actually neither...the only way into Heaven is by accepting Jesus as your savior. So if a person hasn't done that, from my understanding, they will go to ****. Just believing in God doesn't mean a person has accepted him as savior. The Bible specifically says man can not get into Heaven based on good deeds alone.

As I said, that's not why I believe, just an incentive.

Actually neither...the only way into Heaven is by accepting Jesus as your savior. So if a person hasn't done that, from my understanding, they will go to ****. Just believing in God doesn't mean a person has accepted him as savior. The Bible specifically says man can not get into Heaven based on good deeds alone.

well, I'm screwed then. Oh well

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast