Poll: Who Do You Want to Own the Montreal Canadiens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Habs Ownership Race Narrows the Field

So by the sounds of things, we're down to two major competitors looking to buy hockey's greatest franchise, the Montreal Canadiens. I should really say groups of competitors, as both have major financial backing and have minor players involved in support as well. There was a story in this morning's Globe and Mail suggesting that the opening bid--the opening bid--will exceed $400M (not bad, eh? Beats a .99 listing on the Bay) and who knows how high it will go?

There's been considerable talk surrounding the Molson brothers and Quebecor acquiring the Canadiens, and in the latter case there's been a lot of negatives listed. When your press release stating your intent to own the Canadiens cites the business model of the Maple Leafs, that's an issue. Plus, Celine Dion and hubby are backing the Quebecor bid.

So what do the fellow Habs fans and other interested parties think would be best for the team's future?

The players:

The Molson Family - long associated with the Canadiens, they already own a 19.9% stake in the team. They're reportedly supported by the Bell media empire, which would love to retain its name on the Bell Centre as well as exclusive French-language broadcast rights to the Canadiens on RDS.

Quebecor - headed by Karl Peledeau, who has been vocal in his desire to own the team and remake it in a more Quebecois image. Has the support of the Caisse de Depot (the Quebec Pension Fund) and Celine Dion. The company is planning to launch an all-sports channel and owning the Canadiens would be a major boost for their programming package.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    shameless plug richard, shameless

I voted for the bottom one. Or maybe we can combine montreal and the yotes and make a SUPER team!

I am utterly without shame, I freely admit it. LOL

Speaking of the Coyotes, have you seen the makeitfive website? Now THAT is comic gold!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I am utterly without shame, I freely admit it. LOL

Speaking of the Coyotes, have you seen the makeitfive website? Now THAT is comic gold!
    haha i guess that comes with being a habs fan

and yeah i've seen it. I wanna make a site saying makeitfour as a campaign for another california team

Yes, that is hilarious....although the Leafs this year were pretty much made up of AHL'ers, weren't they?

No, there's a makeitfive parody site as well.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Another update on the ownership race: Stephen Bronfman and Joey Saputo have reportedly tabled a $450M opening bid. This is the highest bid to this point.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast