Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Report: Sedins Want Zetterberg Money

Not combined...each.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282198

It appears as thought the Vancouver Canucks will have to break the bank if they want to hold on to the Sedin brothers.
    According to a report on Swedish website expressen.se, Daniel and Henrik Sedin are looking for identical 12-year contracts worth $63 million each, similar to the one signed by fellow countryman Henrik Zetterberg with the Detroit Red Wings.
    While the twins enjoyed solid seasons with the Canucks last year, co-leading the team in scoring with 82 points each while each adding 10 points during the Canucks' playoff run, they have yet to reach the same level as Zetterberg who captured the Conn Smythe trophy last season while leading his Red Wings to the Stanley Cup.
    The brother's have expressed an interest in remaining in Vancouver, while the Canucks' have stated that it is a priority to re-sign the twins, however it is believed that a $63 million price tag is much more than general manager Mike Gillis would be willing to spend.

Personally, as a non-fan of these mega-contracts, if the report is true I wouldn't blame Gillis for balking on that type of deal. I think deals like that should be reserved only for the game's true elite players and dished out exceedingly rarely. I think it is very unwise for a team to hitch its saddle to a player for that type of term unless the player is named Sidney, Alexander, or Evgeni. If the League were to bring in a rule that teams can only sign players for a maximum of five years, I would be perfectly all right with that. If GMs were smart, they'd impose that rule on themselves.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Karma-129's Items on eBay

The Sedins are going to get a hard dose of reality once they hit the FA market. No one in their right mind would pay that much for two players that still have a lot to prove in the post season. Had the Sedins made a bigger splash in the playoffs this year...maybe it would be worth some consideration.

Now watch Brian Burke sign them for that much. Ugh.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The Sedins are going to get a hard dose of reality once they hit the FA market. No one in their right mind would pay that much for two players that still have a lot to prove in the post season. Had the Sedins made a bigger splash in the playoffs this year...maybe it would be worth some consideration.

Now watch Brian Burke sign them for that much. Ugh.

Good post. This is exactly what I was thinking. I am a HUGE Van Fan, and love the Twins. I really want them to stay and hopefully finish their carreers in Van City, but 12 years (each) at 63mill (each!) sounds like too much to me. Uggh....and I also really think Burke might go after them too. I hope this is report is not true. 6mill a year I really have no prob with, but for only 3-5 years at the most.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (73)
    Country
    Twitter: @@sholi2000 See sholi2000's Items on eBay

Cool

Not to mention if that they got hat kind of money then it sets a standard for anyone who scores in the 80 point range (which in my opinion is a good hockey player and not great).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

the sedins are going to get a hard dose of reality once they hit the fa market. No one in their right mind would pay that much for two players that still have a lot to prove in the post season. Had the sedins made a bigger splash in the playoffs this year...maybe it would be worth some consideration.

Now watch brian burke sign them for that much. Ugh.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Karma-129's Items on eBay

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo!

My sentiments exactly.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If I were the Canucks, I think I would be willing to use that as a starting point for negotiations (Neither are as good as Zetterberg, so they don't get Zetterberg money). Assuming that the Canucks DO want them back, that is. The thing is... that works out to 5.25 million per season. That's a pretty easy cap hit to deal with. I think they turn 29 in the fall? 12 years does seem a little too long.

I don't know. I've never been a huge Sedin Twin fan, but if the Canucks were to counter with 55 million over 10 years, that would have the contract expiring while they're still in their 30s... and represent a cap hit of 11 million per season to get them both. Not horrible, IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If I were the Canucks, I think I would be willing to use that as a starting point for negotiations (Neither are as good as Zetterberg, so they don't get Zetterberg money). Assuming that the Canucks DO want them back, that is. The thing is... that works out to 5.25 million per season. That's a pretty easy cap hit to deal with. I think they turn 29 in the fall? 12 years does seem a little too long.

I don't know. I've never been a huge Sedin Twin fan, but if the Canucks were to counter with 55 million over 10 years, that would have the contract expiring while they're still in their 30s... and represent a cap hit of 11 million per season to get them both. Not horrible, IMO.

Yup, I have no issue with the money really, its the duration that I don't like. Even a 10 year contract seems crazy to me.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well, and I think it's crazy too :)

But I would imagine they'd want more per season on a shorter term (say 5 years?) deal. Probably have to shell out 35 million (each) over 5 years to get it done.

One aspect of the CBA we haven't yet seen come into place, is the effect of these long-term / front loaded deals. Look at Daniel Briere's contract (as an example):

The last two years of the deal (13/14 and 14/15) pay him 3.0 and 2.0 million. If he's still in Philly after 12/13 (really, if he's in any big market that spends to the cap) I can almost guarantee they'll look to move him to a lower revenue team. How much would it help a team like Phoenix (as an example) if they could get a player with a 6.5 million cap hit (like Briere) that only costs them 5 million over two years? That would be worth a lot, I think, to a team that doesn't want to spend.

Going back to the Sedins. 10 (or 12) years might be a little long... but in all honesty, they should still be very productive for the next 6 or 7 years. Let's say it was a 10 year contract, structure it something like this:
    Ten Years 55 million total
    First 6 years: 8 million per season
    Last 4 years: 1.75 million per season

The Canucks would then be paying 8 million per season, while only taking a 5.5 million cap hit, for the next 6 years of them. They'd still be in their prime, as still worth the money.

Then they'd have 4 more years where they're cheap to pay, but have big cap hits.... So they could trade them (as a package) to a low revenue team... and probably be able to get a decent package of players / picks in return. Phoenix (as an example) could pick them up, pay a combine 3.5 million a year for the twins.... but take an 11 million cap hit. That's 7.5 million less that they would have to spend, to hit the floor.

Yup, I have no issue with the money really, its the duration that I don't like. Even a 10 year contract seems crazy to me.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Good points man, I never really take into consideration the way contracts are structured these days.