Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Are we collecting the wrong cards?

Everyday I see a few post by the Racing Community, but HUNDREDS of post by our friends in the Football, Hockey and Baseball Communities.

And everyday I see "I have $$$ to spend!" in all the forums...except ours.

I know the economy sucks, but is it only effecting the Racing Community?

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks.

2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
    I just think nascar isnt as big as some people think and its not advertised correctly...

We are a small community of collectors. Just like race fans, we are aq minority. Usedd to be mainly blue collar, back wood boys, southern rednecks, that followed racing with a few of the yankees thrown in for good measure. They have been exspanding the fan base and along with it the collectors. Still in collecting it is the minority and I beleive most like it that way. We know for the most part who we are trading with most times and the trust has been there for years. Most of us have followed fron site to site, we know what I'm talking about. The collectoirs are improving and crossing over more and more into racing in the last year, see it on this site for sure.

For me won;t collect anything else. Been through the craze of the early 90's, still have tons of it sitting in storage with nothing to do with it.....

Racing is it.

There just isn't the demand. Plus like Glebe said, a lot of people just haven't heard that much about the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    We are a small community of collectors. Just like race fans, we are aq minority. Usedd to be mainly blue collar, back wood boys, southern rednecks, that followed racing with a few of the yankees thrown in for good measure. They have been exspanding the fan base and along with it the collectors. Still in collecting it is the minority and I beleive most like it that way. We know for the most part who we are trading with most times and the trust has been there for years. Most of us have followed fron site to site, we know what I'm talking about. The collectoirs are improving and crossing over more and more into racing in the last year, see it on this site for sure.

For me won;t collect anything else. Been through the craze of the early 90's, still have tons of it sitting in storage with nothing to do with it.....

Racing is it.

Agreee!!!

Nascar collecting is a unique aspect of the hobby. Let me try to explain.

Many of us mainly collect a select driver or maybe a couple of drivers. For example, I collect mainly 3 drivers (Smoke/Robby/Todd) though I will pick up the occasional Kyle. While the cards are my main focus, there is also diecast to take into consideration. When I go to drivier signings, the diecast seems to be the most popular thing to have signed not trading cards. Personally, I prefer to have sheetmetal signed because it's just a bit more unique to me.

What I think also hurts us is that NASCAR trading cards are still in their infancy compared to the stick and ball sports. Maxx first showed up in 1988 while baseball cards go back well over 100 years. Football, Basketball, and even hockey have at least 50 years each and even non-sports cards have a 100 plus year history. We are still the new guys on the block.

The economy has had an impact on some but still many of us are still buying. I know for me, the local card shop here in Gadsden, AL buys only a little bit of racing because the stick and ball sports dominate. Wal-Mart and Target are my main source for packs/blasters.

I also know for me I am more selctive of what I do buy. Besides NASCAR my buying/collecting is limited. Yes, I put together a Kiss Ikon set and will make a Kiss 360 set as well because they remain one of my favorite musical groups of all time. I do have some baseball cards (mostly 1960's, 70's, and 80's Pittsburgh Pirates), some football (University of Southern Miss Alumni) and some hockey (Jari Kurri, Andy Moog, Wayne Gretzky and Atlanta Knights) but I don't buy packs or boxes or any of that.

Several of you I have traded with since 1999 when Smoke got me into NASCAR collecting. I've been collecting cards since 1977 though. Les and others I have been doing deals with over what 4 different trading sites (NTN2 and the old AOL boards and lord knows where all else).

Ultmately, we also need to our part in growing the NASCAR hobby. My dad who is retired, sets up at flea markets sometimes to kill some time and get rid of his knives. Ill be sending a lot of 10 card driver lots with him along with some flyers/cards with my website and email address on them to try to stimulate the local NASCAR card scene.

In the end, we are a small community and that's ok but we need to grow it and have more people enjoy our passion.

Pretty much agree with what skippy and StillBig20Fan said. And I like it this way.

You're probably better off. The market isn't flooded like some of the other sports where there is a lot more product out there. With some of the impressive driver collections some of you guys and girls have on here, imagine if you had all of the product out there that say, football does. You wouldn't have as high of a percentage of your driver's cards and would likely go broke if attempting it..

I refrain from buying boxes now, but when I did, at least I heard of the drivers on my hits. Football and basketball are loaded with so many rookies who never even make the pro roster, and baseball is even more ridiculous as there are soooooo many prospects throughout the minors, most of which don't make it in the bigs.

i figure it like this. we get one product every month and a half, for a total of 7 or so products a year. there isn't as much to collect and to put sets together can be accomplished pretty quickly.

most racing collectors focus on a driver or two in comparison to stick and ball collectors collecting teams, and sets with 800 cards. we have around a 100 card set, maybe some parallels and a few inserts. so it just goes we get them together quicker and easier.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by Glebe View Post
    I just think nascar isnt as big as some people think and its not advertised correctly...
    not to be dimunitive, but nascar is the second most attended sport on average in america. and second most watched, behind football both ways. what we have is one company and much smaller sets and or driver cards to gather.

on average each release has around 25 johnson cards where a baseball set may have 50 or more jeter cards. what i like about racing is 100% of race used are serial numbered, so you kow how many are made. in other sports this is not true. and a race used set may contain 20 drivers a game used set in baseball could have a couple hundred. it is just more likely a supply issue, more than popularity.

dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast