Thread: "In Jarmo We Trust"

"In Jarmo We Trust"

St. Louis Blue's Assistant General Manager & Director of Amateur Scouting, Jarmo Kekalainen, comments on the 2009 Blue's draft.

Second round
    48. Brett Ponich, defenseman:
    Jarmo says:
    “Big huge kid, almost 6-7, move the puck, see the ice, he’s very raw right now. Gotta be patient, it’s a long process. He needs to get stronger, but he has tremendous upside in our opinion.”

Third round
    78. Sergei Andronov, right winger:
    Jarmo says:
    “Andronov is a guy I really like. I loved him in World Juniors. He played on the first line with Russian team with (Nikita) Filatov. He’s played two years in the Russian Elite League already. I think he’s just a really good all-around player, and the only reason he isn’t higher is because he’s a 1989 (birth).
    “He’s just one of those guys that didn’t develop or get visible until he was 20. It happens with a lot of European guys, especially European guys. In the under-20 team, he was the player that I noticed right away in the tournament. I followed him all year. Like I said, two solid years in the Russian elite league, that’s pretty good.”

Fourth round
    108: Tyler Shattock, right winger:
    Jarmo says:
    “A physical forward, big kid, 30 goals. He’s a guy that went through the draft probably because he was hurt his draft year. He was out for a while his draft year. He had a great start to the year last year and then he got hurt. That was probably the biggest reason he was passed on last year. Thirty goals this year, 6-3, can hit, play physical.”

Sixth round
    168: David Shields, defenseman:
    Jarmo says:
    “Shields is a good defensive defenseman that we think has a lot of hockey smarts. He was one of the big reasons why Erie got better and better toward the end of the year. Very steady, simple, puck-moving defensive defenseman with good size.”

Seventh round
    202: Max Tardy, center:
    *This pick was acquired from Philadelphia in exchange for a seventh-round pick in 2010.
    Jarmo says:
    “We’ve got a scout in Minnesota (Mike Antonovich) that’s had a lot of success with the players that we have on our team like David Backes and T.J. Oshie. Mike Antonovich knows Max Tardy inside and out, he believes in him and that’s why we went and got another pick. He believes in that guy. He thinks he’s got a lot of upside and he thinks he’s a steal in the seventh round.”

***A LOT OF LOCAL RUMORS HAVE DAVID PERRON ON THE BLOCK. Has anyone heard anything regarding DP in their neck of the woods?

Thanks!
    seand

Did you see the post on the post I made about the first prospect you talked about. A member mentioned that it his friend. Might want to check that out.

DON
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

Quote Originally Posted by doniceage View Post
    Did you see the post on the post I made about the first prospect you talked about. A member mentioned that it his friend. Might want to check that out.

DON
    I saw it - pretty cool!

Here's a bit more about what Jarmo has to say about him:

...his potential outweighs the fact that he'll be a project.

"He's very raw right now," said Jarmo Kekalainen, the Blues' assistant general manager and director of amateur scouting. "We've got to be patient, ... it's a long process. He needs to get stronger, but he has tremendous upside in our opinion.

"I look at the (Central Scouting) rankings obviously. They put a lot of time into their work, but we're employed by the Blues to make our own list. We can't change our list based on what somebody else has. We look at it, we respect it, but we make our own decisions.

"If you can get a fraction of Zdeno Chara, that's upside. That's what we try to aim at, rather than somebody that's average across the board. I'd much rather take a chance at something than just go for safe or average. You can pick up average players from the waivers.