Price Guides need a MAJOR overhaul

I see threads on here from time to time concerning price guides. Some people use SV some use BV. But here is where I'm confused. Beckett claims that their pricing comes from recent sales. I just find this hard to believe. Are they drawing their prices from some corner of the world in which the Internet does not exist? If so I wish that I could find it. I could retire from my day job and buy cards through the websites and then sell them to the people who are paying those prices. It honestly makes no sense whatsoever and I CANNOT BELIEVE that those prices are from accuratle reported sales sent to Beckett.

I also think it is strange that Beckett fails to price cards numbered to 25 and less. The premise here is that they don't have enough sales to correctly report the price. But come on, they manage to price a Marvin Harrison Topps base card from 2008. Really? You collected sales data on a base card enough to say that it sells for more than a common player, but you can't come up with enough data to price an Adrian Peterson Auto /10? Give me a break.

Like any reference publication Beckett should be reporting an accurate view of the industry. Instead they directly affect the market by printing prices with no basis.

Don't get me wrong, I like to read the articles in Beckett, but the idea of a price guide outside of Internet sales information is an outdated concept and Beckett continues to marginalize itself by not keeping up with true pricing.

How would you like one that takes into account eBay and some other major online outlets and is cheaper than the other guys?

Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    How would you like one that takes into account eBay and some other major online outlets and is cheaper than the other guys?
    Oh I would love that one!!

beckett hasn't been accurate at pricing since the late 80's when cards could be sold right around high book value. Since then it was just used as a basis for dealers to start at and then decrease their prices by a percentage they deemed fit.

I stopped buying beckett years ago.