THN.com Blog: What's a second-rounder really worth?

BY: Brian Costello

At the NHL trade deadline this season, we noticed very few teams were willing to part with their first round draft picks. Thatís a growing trend since the salary cap was instituted in 2005 because teams realize a blue chip first-rounder can offer years of inexpensive labor and thatís something they donít want to part with.

So the second round pick has become the currency of exchange in the NHL these days. Problem is, the vast majority of second round picks never play in the NHL and only about one in six go on to have substantial NHL careers (600 games or more). When teams eventually clue into this fact, theyíre going to start demanding more for their Nik Antropovs and Ales Kotaliks and Cristobal Huets at the NHL trade deadline.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...lly-worth.html
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

2. Kronozio
    When teams eventually clue into this fact
    I think Mr. Costello shouldn't pretend like he's smarter than most NHL GMs out there. I'm sure they're all very aware of the fact that more than 2/3 of the players taken in the 2nd round will not even get to play a marginal role in the NHL.

The fact is.... if you want a draft pick, and the team you're dealing with is unwilling to give up a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder is the next best thing to pick up. Yours chances of getting a bonafide NHLer go down with each subsequent round.