Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See smittyallday's Items on eBay

Kovalev signs with......

Just wanted to say what's up everyone, haven't been around here in a while. I've been extremely busy the last couple months but I'm hoping I'll have enough time to get active again... Saw no one posted this yet so I figured I would, still laughing at this....

- - - - - - - - - -

Kovalev signs two year deal

A day after some fans held a rally to keep Alex Kovalev in Montreal, the forward's tumultuous tenure in La Belle Province has come to an end as the enigmatic sniper has signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Ottawa Senators.

One of the most skilled players in the league, the Togliatti, Russia native is also one of the most unpredictable. He can look spectacular one night, controlling the play, while completely disappearing for long stretches at a time.

The Kovalev signing comes at a time where the Senators are struggling to move forward Dany Heatley, who requested a trade last week, and twice wouldn't lift his no-movement clause to go to the Edmonton Oilers.

"I think you always want your player to play 100 per cent, and that's difficult over 82 games and if you are judgmental you can find a hole," Murray told reporters. "I think Alex, they claim, has been a little more inconsistent than he should be. I think the opposite. I think when he plays great he can win a game for you.

"In this organization we've got many hard workers and guys that will compete for us every night, but we needed something special to go with that and this guy's a special player."

Kovalev spent five up-and-down seasons in Montreal after being acquired in a trade with the New York Rangers for Josef Balej and a second round draft pick. He enjoyed his best season with the Habs in 2007-08 when he scored 35 goals, added 49 assists, was named a Second team NHL All-Star and helped lead the team to their first division title since the 1992-93 season.

Kovalev, like many of his Canadiens teammates, struggled under the weight of expectations during the Canadiens 100th anniversary campaign this past year. The low point for Kovalev came in March following the All-Star break when General Manager Bob Gainey told him to take some time away from the team in order to “clear his head.” Many speculated that Kovalev had played his last game for Montreal. He did return after missing two games and finished the season with 26 goals and 39 assists.

The 36-year old broke into the league with the New York Rangers after a stellar international career that saw him collect gold for the Soviet Union at the 1992 IIHF World Junior Hockey championship as well as gold for the Commonwealth of Independent States at the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France.

Kovalev continued his winning ways upon entering the NHL as he helped the New York Rangers capture the Stanley Cup in his second year in the league.

In 1151 career games, Kovalev has 394 and 547 asssists and twice played in the NHL All-Star game, being named the game's MVP this past year in Montreal.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Nice of Ottawa to give Kovy a raise after a very subpar season (All-Star Game MVP aside) - enjoy him, he's a ton of fun to watch and never dull when he's got the puck.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm interested to see him play (no offence to Canadien fans) with better players!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See cssportsca's Items on eBay

Wasnt the Canadians going to give him the "C" if he signed with them???

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wasnt the Canadians going to give him the "C" if he signed with them???

No, there was speculation but nothing was ever official. He had an offer on the table, 9 million for two seasons but Kovalev waited too long and we signed Cammalleri instead.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See cssportsca's Items on eBay

well - I wonder how this affects the Heatley situation

SCF Rewards
    Country

well - I wonder how this affects the Heatley situation

Word, I'm interested to see how this unfolds as well. Last thing I heard though was that the GM had no plans to ship Heatley anywhere since he had turned down the Oilers trade.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See LT21Titans27's Items on eBay

Nice of Ottawa to give Kovy a raise after a very subpar season (All-Star Game MVP aside) - enjoy him, he's a ton of fun to watch and never dull when he's got the puck.

If that game is played anywhere but Montreal, OV wins MVP

Kovalev is getting overpaid, another player to Ottawa thats all offense with no defensive game

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Well if he can play like he capable of it not a bad signing at 5 million. Of course if he plays like last year it is not worth it.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

If that game is played anywhere but Montreal, OV wins MVP

Kovalev is getting overpaid, another player to Ottawa thats all offense with no defensive game

Kovalev was the MVP of the All-Star game with OVIE being the runner up for MVP.

Kovalev has the talent but not the heart or drive IMO. Could be a good fit with Spezza and Alfredsson though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast