Shipping Questions (& Complaint)

Maybe I'm late to the party, but have shipping rules & rates changed recently?
    I remember sending out small bubble mailers for like $.60 postage not that long ago and around $.80 very recently. Now it looks like they call these really small bubble mailers "packages" when they used to call them "large envelopes"

According to the USPS website mailing a "package" costs a minimum of $1.22... where a "large envelope" is still $.88... I guess my question is - Why is a small bubble mailer with a few cards in it considered a package when it's pretty clear to me at least that it is more of an envelope?

Anyone have any insights or a way around this?
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

2. SCC End 2017
    It went up like 2 cents if I remember right. Any bubble mailers between 1-1.9 ounces I put a 64 cent stamp on their, and 2-2.9 oz it's 81 cents. I've shipped a handful of packages the past couple weeks doing this. If you walk into a USPS location they will upgrade your category and round up on the ounces.

Jeez - I'm getting screwed then... I just got 3 sent BACK to me, that were ALL under 2oz & had $.84 in postage on them (2 stamps) ... but you are telling me $.64 - which sounds right.

They are REALLY small bubble mailers, like the same size and an envelope, but, you know, thicker... annoying.

When you say "upgrade your category" do you mean they call it a "package" as opposed to an envelope?
    Current Patriots Cards

I actually calculate the postage based on the "letters" category, but at a USPS location they will classify it as a "large envelope." I may be doing it wrong and they just let it slide but whatever, my packages get to where they need to go.

Ya - I think they are letting it slide a little for you... but that's cool.
    I think "large envelope" is accurate and should be what I'm being charged... but I'm getting bumped all the way up to "package"!

thanks for the insight.
    Current Patriots Cards

The rules have changed to anything thicker than 1/4th of an inch cannot be considered a letter, and gets upgraded to a package/thick envelope (they have a little piece of plastic with a 1/4th inch slot that they use to measure). Minimum $1.22 cost for 1oz.

thank you! i knew someone on here might know!

well that really sucks $.30 for every card - esh!

While I was ranting - I was doing some checking online & look at this - at the very bottom of this page:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#wp1157961

Check out the description for "Large Envelopes (Flats)" - the lowest price is $.88 (NOT $1.22) and "Large Envelopes (Flats)" seem to perfectly describe baseball card bubble mailers - the picture even looks like one! CONTROVERSY!
    Current Patriots Cards

Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    thank you! i knew someone on here might know!

well that really sucks $.30 for every card - esh!

While I was ranting - I was doing some checking online & look at this - at the very bottom of this page:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#wp1157961

Check out the description for "Large Envelopes (Flats)" - the lowest price is $.88 (NOT $1.22) and "Large Envelopes (Flats)" seem to perfectly describe baseball card bubble mailers - the picture even looks like one! CONTROVERSY!
    Well where it says, large envelope (flats), the (flats) is the key part, it must be flat, and if not, then as you read it must be uniformly thick, that means that from top to bottom and from side to side all must be the exact same thickness if its over a 1/4in, which would be impossible to pull off with a bubblemailer. But you always could find thin small boxes put the cards in there with some bubble wrap or packing peanuts and insert that into one of the larger "flat" envelopes, and ship that way. But then after paying for the boxes and packing material, you'd probably end up spending more to ship each package than before.

As for new charges and them suddenly changing everything, i honestly think you were just getting lucky and your local PO was letting you slide because Bubblemailers have always been considered a package by their guidelines (the federal ones not your local workers opinions).